No announcement yet.

ReactOS 0.4.13 Released With Fixes For USB Storage, Less Blue Screens of Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose the question to ask is does ReactOS run Windows applications and games better than Linux with WINE?

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      I suppose the question to ask is does ReactOS run Windows applications and games better than Linux with WINE?
      It's supposed to, but no one really knows, as you can't install it on real hardware, at least not anything remotely usable. If you have access to an old P4 rig, you could try some 3DMark03 or something and tell the tale.

Comment

Just noticed that the ReactOS Site lists 0.4.12 as the downloadable version. Is it a typo in this news post or am I missing something on RactOS?

Edit: Found this in their git: https://github.com/reactos/reactos/c...e52e78d3a6568e

Maybe they havent built any user friendly packages yet.
        Last edited by zexelon; 09 April 2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
          Just noticed that the ReactOS Site lists 0.4.12 as the downloadable version. Is it a typo in this news post or am I missing something on RactOS?

Edit: Found this in their git: https://github.com/reactos/reactos/c...e52e78d3a6568e

As linked to from the article, "user friendly packages" can be found on SourceForge - https://sourceforge.net/projects/rea...eactOS/0.4.13/

Sometimes their main site is slow to update.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

As linked to from the article, "user friendly packages" can be found on SourceForge - https://sourceforge.net/projects/rea...eactOS/0.4.13/

Sometimes their main site is slow to update.
            Ah, thanks for pointing that out!

Comment

No problems in the past with installing and running ReactOS, just not very useful having some basic utilities. USB flash/storage, as well as USB support overall, being a huge show stopper for many!

Wish MS would just open source the unused and deprecated (win95, win98, ...) operating systems; unless of course those operating systems still comprise a large part of win10. My guess is, win10 is still operating upon win95/win98 functions; for which are the remaining bits that still make Windows extremely useful versus the newer bits making win10 more difficult to use!
              Last edited by rogerx; 10 April 2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
                No problems in the past with installing and running ReactOS, just not very useful having some basic utilities. USB flash/storage, as well as USB support overall, being a huge show stopper for many!

Wish MS would just open source the unused and deprecated (win95, win98, ...) operating systems; unless of course those operating systems still comprise a large part of win10. My guess is, win10 is still operating upon win95/win98 functions; for which are the remaining bits that still make Windows extremely useful versus the newer bits making win10 more difficult to use!
                This is an interesting suggestion, unfortunately it would not really help React. Win95 to Win Mellenium (a.k.a. with Win9x series) were all based on DOS underpinnings (more or less). Windows NT through now to Windows 10 are all based on the Windows NT (a.k.a. New Technology (now really quite old)) foundation and kernel. Open sourcing windows 9x series now would perhaps help FreeDos with their retro system but beyond that unfortunately it would not be of much use to modern systems. ReactOS is attempting to emulate the Windows NT series.

Now if they say open sourced Windows NT 3 or 4 that would be huge... but also there is probably a ton of Windows 10 that still requires that old code and they would want to keep it closed.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

No, it is the same as with last release post about ReactOS:
                  Phoronix is reporting it before the actual release, so the release was still getting prepared when it was reported here as 'released'.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

C'mon, I was hopping for full winblows experience.
                    Really? What experience was that exactly?

Having software vendors care about what users actually want? Having the newest hardware work immeditaly, with every single feature available? Experiencing a world free of woke elitists? Having the ability to deploy an application that takes full advantage of the OS, without having to go through any distribution or repo gatekeepers? Not having to hire an army of developers and engineers to support or maintain anything customized?

This isn't 1999 any longer, free software bashing MS comes off like a deceptive way of defending Apple and Google's walled gardens, the latter a less expensive and higher surveillance clone of the former. You know what OSX, Android, and GNU/Linux systems have in common? They hate their users, and that very much includes their own developers.

MS didn't bring us the ultra-centralized and user dis-empowering cloud business model, you three did that.
                    MS didn't bring us an intentionally incomplete mobile platform, where only an OEM could support users, you three did that.
                    You made the world even worse, by being worse leaders than MS ever was to us, start owning it.

For the record, I've gotten plenty of Kernel panics also, not that it's the worst problem we have now.
                    Last edited by techzilla; 10 April 2020, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by techzilla View Post

Really? What experience was that exactly?
                      The worst experience one can imagine. Buggy, slow, unstable virus infected mess.[/quote]

Oh and M$ loves you so much it's spying on you pathetic boy and wants dozens of money for their pathetic products like winblows 10. Linux loves its users. M$ was spreading FUD against Linux and Open Source for years. When it'll end I'll be happy. I want it to bankrupt and I'll do everything to make it happen. This is my wish.

MS didn't bring us the ultra-centralized and user dis-empowering cloud business model, you three did that.
                      MS didn't bring us an intentionally incomplete mobile platform, where only an OEM could support users, you three did that.
                      You made the world even worse, by being worse leaders than MS ever was to us, start owning it.
                      M$ winblows wasn't able to provide good cloud services. Linux destroyed it in this area. Winblows mobile platform was a total disaster. Linux destroyed it as well. Linux made the World much better place. It's funny how you're showing m$ like something opposite to Google or Apple. They're all mess and have nothing common with Linux.

For the record, I've gotten plenty of Kernel panics also, not that it's the worst problem we have now.
                      An only panic you have is your brai n begging for common sense. birdie, is that you?

Comment

Working...
                      X