• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
    Technically it isn't 4th. Because Minix in everyone's Intel processor XD
    technically most processors are arms

Comment

Originally posted by scratchi View Post
      And I know some will say btrfs does everything zfs can do on a workstation and more, but I had a really bad experience with btrfs once, and not touching it again after that.
      just look at zfs github bugtracker for list of people having bad experience with it

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
        I'd love to give FreeBSD a try again but for that I need DXVK to work and also Nvidia to release Vulkan drivers for FreeBSD
        isn't it fun that you are precluded from using freebsd by buying hardware from linux-hating vendor

Comment

Originally posted by waitman View Post
          I use FreeBSD and Debian. One feature I like in FreeBSD is the installed user applications do not mess with the system.
          there's no such difference between linux and freebsd. maybe what you are referring to is "debian has much more applications integrated than freebsd"? anyway, future is flatpaks
          On Debian and other GNU/Linux distributions everything is co-mingled. FreeBSD ports are generally kept up-to-date, so you're running the latest available version of most programs.
          or you are not running them at all because they are separate from your system and don't support it already
          The source code, to me, is clear and well-documented. So if you want to add some functionality to Bluetooth, for example, you can dig in and hack on it pretty easy.
          apparently it is even better for linux(since much more code is being added to it)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            there's no such difference between linux and freebsd. maybe what you are referring to is "debian has much more applications integrated than freebsd"? anyway, future is flatpaks
            There is, actually. In FreeBSD (and afaik in every *BSD) external applications are installed under /usr/local.

or you are not running them at all because they are separate from your system and don't support it already
            I've kept hearing that towards Linux for a dozen years.

apparently it is even better for linux(since much more code is being added to it)
            As a matter of fact, Linux kernel code is more and more of a mess, just there are more programmers that are involved in the project (partially because they often HAVE TO contribute their code to the project). More commits -> more functionalities -> more customers -> more commits. Number of commits, however, does not directly result in quality of code.

Comment

Maybe flatpacks are the future? I don't know, i've not used it. I was just looking at the Gnucash flatpak and it includes build instructions for mysql, postgres, and boost, and some others. But those don't show up in the flathub search. Does it actually build both of those if you want to run Gnucash? Does flathub verify the sources to make sure it's legit or i guess people read the flatpak json file first? I'm curious how this would work for a company like Netflix or WhatsApp, like if they wanted to switch from FreeBSD and use the flatpak. Can they set up a flatpak repo server and build something like nginx, then use flatpack to distribute the binaries to 1000's of servers?

Comment

maybe you have issues with counting to 4 lol. and your list is garbage. linux is the most used os for several years already thanks to android
                Well, it's about context, Linux as a kernel is (probably?) the most used kernel,... However, Linux as a desktop distribution/OS is behind Windows and iOS. And, very little amount of common non-technical humans being know, that Android is using Linux.

Maybe, soon, thanks to Trump's blacklist, Android won't be the dominating mobile os anymore,... as Huawei might be much more interested in delivering phones using Harmony OS, and say farewell to Android.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post
                  Well, it's about context, Linux as a kernel is (probably?) the most used kernel,... However, Linux as a desktop distribution/OS is behind Windows and iOS.
                  if ios is desktop os then android is desktop os(or it's just desktop os if you look at samsung dex) and everyone else combined is behind it
                  And, very little amount of common non-technical humans being know, that Android is using Linux.
                  why should it matter?
                  Maybe, soon, thanks to Trump's blacklist, Android won't be the dominating mobile os anymore,... as Huawei might be much more interested in delivering phones using Harmony OS, and say farewell to Android.
                  trump can only blacklist googleapps, android itself is open source
                  Last edited by pal666; 29 March 2020, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Maybe flatpacks are the future? I don't know, i've not used it. I was just looking at the Gnucash flatpak and it includes build instructions for mysql, postgres, and boost, and some others. But those don't show up in the flathub search. Does it actually build both of those if you want to run Gnucash?
                    someone has to build it like someone has to build distro packages. but you should press "install" button here https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gnucash.GnuCash
                    Does flathub verify the sources to make sure it's legit or i guess people read the flatpak json file first?
                    there's a license field and flathub does verification to some extent
                    I'm curious how this would work for a company like Netflix or WhatsApp, like if they wanted to switch from FreeBSD and use the flatpak. Can they set up a flatpak repo server and build something like nginx, then use flatpack to distribute the binaries to 1000's of servers?
                    they can, though flatpak's usecase is millions of endusers, not thousands of servers

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                      Have you got any data on this? Admittedly I don't but I very much doubt that FreeBSD is even within the same order of magnitude as Ubuntu, RHEL etc.
                      The point is moot anyway. Even if we assume FreeBSD has more users/devs than Ubuntu + RHEL, it leaves every other BSD out to dry since everything from device drivers to jails, virtualization, filesystems, etc needs to be ported over {Net, Open, Dragonfly, etc}BSD ad infinitum. Obviously, this siloed development model doesn't scale.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                      Now of course if you compare against the likes of Alpine Linux, Devuan, Slackware (which was once the dominant distro!), that's another matter, but also I would say a totally irrelevant one;
                      Is it though? I mean, the DoE sponsored ZOL which I believe is deployed on CentOS but is fully available on Alpine Linux (or any Linux for that matter) which has fewer users/devs than RHEL, or Ubuntu, or someBSD.

Comment

Working...
                      X