Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i9 10980XE: FreeBSD 12.1 vs. GhostBSD 12.02 vs. DragonFlyBSD vs. Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i9 10980XE: FreeBSD 12.1 vs. GhostBSD 12.02 vs. DragonFlyBSD vs. Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Core i9 10980XE: FreeBSD 12.1 vs. GhostBSD 12.02 vs. DragonFlyBSD vs. Ubuntu Linux Benchmarks

Given the release earlier this month of DragonFlyBSD 5.8 along with the recent debut of the FreeBSD-based desktop-focused GhostBSD 20.02, here are benchmarks looking at their performance up against FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE as well as the current state of Ubuntu 20.04. Tests were done both with the LLVM Clang and GCC compilers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see some BSD benchmarks

Comment

Why GhostBSD is faster than FreeBSD? Optimization patches? System settings? Is it based on FreeBSD-CURRENT?

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        The PoargreSQL database server when encountering reads and writes was the fastest on FreeBSD 12.01
        (12.1)

Originally posted by phoronix:n1168021
        When ramping up the connections for a hevy contention scenario with PostgreSQL,
        Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        One of the imaging benchmarks where the BSDs one was in their librsvg performance as shipped on each OS.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post
          Why GhostBSD is faster than FreeBSD? Optimization patches? System settings? Is it based on FreeBSD-CURRENT?
          No patches I don't think but they tweak the knobs some. Idk, download it and look in /etc/sysctl.conf CURRENT is also not RELEASE, so it's more in line with what FreeBSD 13 will be..

Not all of the defaults in FreeBSD vanilla are optimal some are even contradictory, core might want to look at getting their defaults more 2020'ish

Side note: ZFS really gets the shaft in benchmarks. You have something that relies on it's cache doing cache defeating work such as in the postgress benchmarks.. even tho in the real world we use cache. Oracle has complained about this too. Not that it's expected to be rocket fast.. but still.
          Last edited by k1e0x; 26 March 2020, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post
            Ghost is based on TrueOS, which in turn is based on FreeBSD-CURRENT (bleeding edge) rather than FreeBSD-STABLE. Also, it uses openrc instead of FreeBSD's rc.d.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Ghost is based on TrueOS, which in turn is based on FreeBSD-CURRENT (bleeding edge) rather than FreeBSD-STABLE. Also, it uses openrc instead of FreeBSD's rc.d.
              It was, they moved back to vanilla FreeBSD when Trident moved to Void Linux.

Edit: Actually I'm not sure. I like TrueOS also, If GhostBSD does use TrueOS that is good. I want to give this a spin.. eventually.
              Last edited by k1e0x; 26 March 2020, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Edit: Actually I'm not sure. I like TrueOS also, If GhostBSD does use TrueOS that is good. I want to give this a spin.. eventually.
                TrueOS is dead. GhostBSD is current based on FreeBSD, but uses OpenRC instead of init. I ran it from December of last year to around Feb/March of this year, at which point I migrated to FuryBSD KDE (pure FreeBSD with KDE included in the installer.)

Comment

Love to see the *BSD love Michael. Good solid work.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Ghost is still claiming they are basing off of TrueOS.

Comment

Working...
                    X