No announcement yet.

os108 9.0 Released As One Of The Few Desktop Operating Systems Based On NetBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raka555 this might give you some overview of what's incorporated in NetBSD https://youtu.be/3flJSB3r-fI

Let me know what's your idea and thoughts about modern OS .. you might want to check rump kernels in NetBSD

Comment

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
      Raka555 this might give you some overview of what's incorporated in NetBSD https://youtu.be/3flJSB3r-fI

Let me know what's your idea and thoughts about modern OS .. you might want to check rump kernels in NetBSD
      I am not trying to knock NetBSD.
      This is a broad statement for all existing operating systems.

But are things like "everything is a file" really optimal ?
      Is the notion of a file and a filesystem the best we can come up with ?
      The way permissions works ?

I don't know the answers, but it is hard to believe that we can't come up with anything better than they had 30-40 years ago.

Comment

jacob here is Installation video https://youtu.be/cgAeY21gXR4 Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
          I wish someone would write a modern OS. Not something based on 1970s technology...
          All UNIX-like operating systems are based on 1970s technology and patched to run on modern computers.
          What do you mean by "patched"? Modern Unix-like operating system are concept based on original Unix, not technology based. They provide modern technologies like memory protection, multiprocessing, multiuser etc. What is the point of creating another operating system?

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

What do you mean by "patched"? Modern Unix-like operating system are concept based on original Unix, not technology based. They provide modern technologies like memory protection, multiprocessing, multiuser etc. What is the point of creating another operating system?
            He is assuming that everything based on old or derived from old is automatically outdated and bad. Even tho, when you try to actually start from 'clean slate', you will soon find out that your "new beginning" is just re-inventing the old all over again, for the most part. There's only so many ways to achieve some particular outcome that sooner or later you will repeat some of the existing designs even when you try to completely not rely on past ways of doing things.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
              If someone wants BSD on the desktop tell them to buy a Mac!
              Macs are over priced closed source garbage. There, I said it. Soldering on memory and hard drives so the user can't upgrade them is ridiculous...

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

He is assuming that everything based on old or derived from old is automatically outdated and bad. Even tho, when you try to actually start from 'clean slate', you will soon find out that your "new beginning" is just re-inventing the old all over again, for the most part. There's only so many ways to achieve some particular outcome that sooner or later you will repeat some of the existing designs even when you try to completely not rely on past ways of doing things.
                Yeah, I don't get this 'oh my god, it's old!' especially with computer operating systems. The ones that have survived have done so due to the way they were originally designed. For us to do something new and amazing, we'd need computing that works differently than they have since they were created. Since everything is still very much 1s and 0s, there is only so much we can do. I figure AI is something like Yes/1, No/0, Figure it out/2? :P
                My problem with all the 'let's make something new' is most of the ideas are terrible. Look at what Windows tried todo with 8. Then with 10 they keep just randomly moving and renaming things during every new build.
                At least Gnome, which most people complain about, have a vision of a simple to use desktop, and are trying each release to get to something that is simply usable and you don't have to search online to figure out how to do things in it... I used to be able to figure out UIs, since I've been using them since GEM on the ST, and Workbench on the Amiga, and Windows 95. But KDE and Win10 has things in odd places, and I've had to use DuckDuckGo to look them up.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                  I wish someone would write a modern OS. Not something based on 1970s technology...
                  All UNIX-like operating systems are based on 1970s technology and patched to run on modern computers.
                  One of the most stupid comments I've read in my life. Windows which is younger is utter crap in comparison to those 'unixes'.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

One of the most stupid comments I've read in my life. Windows which is younger is utter crap in comparison to those 'unixes'.
                    It's far from stupid. There are a few good ideas in Unix (albeit what is commonly called the "unix philosophy" is empathically NOT one of them), but most of it are tired cliches and failed concepts that desperately need to die. Not everything should be a plain text file, not every problem is best solved using sed and awk and patching together dumb text processing tools using duct tape scripts is not a great way to design software.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

It's far from stupid. There are a few good ideas in Unix (albeit what is commonly called the "unix philosophy" is empathically NOT one of them), but most of it are tired cliches and failed concepts that desperately need to die. Not everything should be a plain text file, not every problem is best solved using sed and awk and patching together dumb text processing tools using duct tape scripts is not a great way to design software.
                      Nobody is saying Unix was perfect. The point is there's no need to write everything from scratch. Linux fixes Unix weak points.

Comment

Working...
                      X