Rust-Based Redox OS Working On Pkgar For Package Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

I hardly see bugs as a high priority in an OS that hasn’t even left the cradle yet.

As for Pkgar it is a better name than DNF. It took me a couple of times to remember those new characters (dnf) compared to Pkgar which I remember now and i don’t even run this OS.
    Cries in urxvt lol

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      According to that report the issue has been resolved.
      according to that report, it was updated after I posted a link to it here.

I hardly see bugs as a high priority in an OS that hasn’t even left the cradle yet.
      that particular bug is why I was still considering Redox to be just a toy OS that would probably never leave the cradle. hearing that it's fixed is great news.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post

according to that report, it was updated after I posted a link to it here.

that particular bug is why I was still considering Redox to be just a toy OS that would probably never leave the cradle. hearing that it's fixed is great news.
        > Can't Self Host Yet
        > Doesn't even have a real package manager yet (although he's working on pkgar)
        > Doesn't even have an installer
        > Nobody uses it in production period, not even the author
        > "Waaaaaaaah they're not moving fast enough on resolving Intel vulnerabilities, and I think they're focusing too much on basic features that are needed to actually make it useful as a day to day system instead, that's why they're never going to take off"

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound? Either you're not really familiar with how far along Redox actually is, or you're the one with really messed up priorities. The truth is nobody is going to be seriously running this for another 5 years or more. It's a HobbyOS at this point, and won't be anything serious for a long time.

Comment

Why not just user RPMs? they are multi-system, and well known.

Comment

szymon_g even better pkgsrc

Comment

As for Pkgar it is a better name than DNF. It took me a couple of times to remember those new characters (dnf) compared to Pkgar which I remember now and i don’t even run this OS.
              Duke Nukem Forever.
              Now you can't unremember it.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                What do you guys think of SerenityOS?
                Nice. However...
                Originally posted by https://github.com/SerenityOS/serenity/blob/master/ReadMe.md#L25
                x86 (32-bit) kernel with pre-emptive multi-threading
                ... they plan to run this on retro hardware too? I know AMD64 instruction capable CPU can run x86 instructions, but why? I've probably missed something?

Comment

.. DNF. It took me a couple of times to remember those new characters (dnf)
                  I remember with this sentence: "Do Not F*ck my system your damn yum replacement"

Comment

Lol, pkgar is awful to type on a keyboard IMHO. Though still less awful than xbps

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

> Can't Self Host Yet
                      > Doesn't even have a real package manager yet (although he's working on pkgar)
                      > Doesn't even have an installer
                      > Nobody uses it in production period, not even the author
                      > "Waaaaaaaah they're not moving fast enough on resolving Intel vulnerabilities, and I think they're focusing too much on basic features that are needed to actually make it useful as a day to day system instead, that's why they're never going to take off"

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound? Either you're not really familiar with how far along Redox actually is, or you're the one with really messed up priorities. The truth is nobody is going to be seriously running this for another 5 years or more. It's a HobbyOS at this point, and won't be anything serious for a long time.
                      1. Android can't self-host on most devices.
                      2. Windows doesn't have any package manager.
                      3. A lot of widely-used Linux distributions don't have installers.

none of those things are necessary for production use, but security is. I want to see Redox get to the point where I can use it. if that takes 5 years or more, that's fine. I'm just glad to see that they are actually making progress toward that point.

Comment

Working...
                      X