Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust-Based Redox OS Working On Pkgar For Package Management

Phoronix: Rust-Based Redox OS Working On Pkgar For Package Management

It's been a while since having news on Redox OS as the Rustlang-written open-source operating system. But it turns out that's been due to Jeremy Soller being busy working on Pkgar as a new package management format for the operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

new package management is nice, but I'd think serious security vulnerabilities would be a higher priority.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post
      new package management is nice, but I'd think serious security vulnerabilities would be a higher priority.
      According to that report the issue has been resolved.

Comment

Nobody uses Redox in a production environment yet. It can't even self host. So no, chasing Intel's endless vulnerabilties shouldn't be a higher priority right now. They should get to working on such thing after they finally get into a state where someone would even want to bother trying to exploit it on their system. It is much more advanced than the other Hobby OSes, but it's important to remember how far along it actually is, which isn't very far at all.

Comment

I hardly see bugs as a high priority in an OS that hasn’t even left the cradle yet.

As for Pkgar it is a better name than DNF. It took me a couple of times to remember those new characters (dnf) compared to Pkgar which I remember now and i don’t even run this OS.

Comment

wonder if this is what there kinda working on with DNF-5 ( something similar )

Comment

I really hope someone with $ to burn invests in RedoxOS. Maybe as a VM host OS at first, or maybe just as a userspace replacement to start...after self hosting, and more hardware support.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                What do you guys think of SerenityOS?
                Looks cute. I don't know what I would want to do with it besides play Quake, but its a fun idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
                  What do you guys think of SerenityOS?
                  No ISOs available to download, naaah. But looks interesting.

Comment

Nice idea with those atomic updates.

Btw, would be nice to see Arch's pacman with a bit similar function – storing package's files MD5 hashes and updating just files, of which hashes changed.

Comment

Working...
                    X