FreeNAS + TrueNAS Unifying Into TrueNAS 12.0 CORE/Enterprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    I thought FreeNAS using ZFS was a strong point and why it was on BSD? If it switches to OpenZFS, is that somehow still a better experience than OpenZFS with Linux?(or is the issue more of that ZFSonLinux/ZoL layer?) I don't quite follow ZFS stuff.
    The whole point of FreeNAS/TrueNAS is ZFS. The rest is cool but the real selling point is ZFS, it's a storage appliance after all.
    They were already part of the OpenZFS project but talking directly to the illumos upstream
    The switch is from illumos to ZoL which is the OpenZFS branch about ZFS on Linux and is (unsurprisingly) the more lively and active part of OpenZFS.
    That's the same codebase as Linux's ZFS, it won't be that different for obvious reasons.
    But it will be better for everyone as they can now get or develop features together with Linux's ZFS (also the reverse is true) instead of waiting for them to upstream it to illumos, waiting ages because it's not a particularly active project, and then pick them up.

For example, if I'm not wrong ZoL has some new cool features that haven't yet landed upstream and with this switch they would get that too.

See my post below about them migrating their "UI and middleware" (i.e. the actual software that runs TrueNAS web interface and system, which runs on top of FreeBSD at the moment) to Debian, as an example of the fact that they are not 100% committed to staying on FreeBSD forever now that they can have ZFS on Linux too.
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 March 2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
      To the name change.. it's fine I don't know what CORE means..
      it means that this is just the businness version without the businness addons (the TrueNAS "core"), that this is just as good and stable and cool as the businness version, there is just a difference in additional (paid) businness features.

"community" isn't as cool as it makes people think it's developed by volunteers and fixed whenever they have time, which isn't the case here.

Comment

Originally posted by ferrao View Post
        I want to know if this merge will be in fact good for the old FreeNAS users or not. I'm specially interested on: Fibre Channel, HA, Swap on Flash support and the vSphere Plugin. Which are features that are only available to the TrueNAS segment.
        I really doubt they will make that stuff free, I mean let them get some money somehow

Comment

Originally posted by andrewjoy View Post
          I would however like the Freenas web interface or something like it to be ported to linux, having to wrap my head arround the arcane ways BSD does stuff is a pain when everything else i use is linux.
          There is official talk about that https://www.ixsystems.com/community/...-beyond.80462/

Next, we’re going to be hard at work in 2020 to make our 12.0 code portable across multiple OS platforms. The middleware at the core of FreeNAS is already pretty portable today, and we want to start extending its reach. This also allows us to work on some new and exciting software products, complementary to FreeNAS, without disturbing or compromising the stability or reliability users depend on. We're excited to share what we're working on, but we're still early in the R&D phases, so we don't have much to reveal yet. Stay tuned for more info later next year!

a few posts below, answering a question of a user

We're specifically making all the portable bits (middleware and UI) able to run on other OS's for future product(s). Right now we're working to port it to Debian 11 (Bullseye)

So yes, it's being worked on.

And yes, my body is definitely ready for that.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 March 2020, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            I really doubt they will make that stuff free, I mean let them get some money somehow
            It is extremely OK to get some money, in fact they need it.

But the missing features aren't really well documented and iXsystems only provides this kind of features on the TrueNAS segment. And since TrueNAS is embedded on the specific iXsystems hardware it makes really impossible to have any of those features outside selected countries. I tried to buy one in Brazil, but the cost make it inviable, due to taxes, import fees, shipping, etc.

If we are able to build our own machines and have those features would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

So yes, it's being worked on.

And yes, my body is definitely ready for that.
              That is cool! BSD is fine and all but its the hardware support that has me salivating with a option for freenas on linux. Not to mention i just understand it better.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewjoy View Post

That is cool! BSD is fine and all but its the hardware support that has me salivating with a option for freenas on linux. Not to mention i just understand it better.
                Well FreeBSD has other advantages on Linux other than ZFS. (It has a better firewall, it's container system is better etc) And.. OpenZFS is OpenZFS, that is the point of it so irregardless of the OS the filesystem features will be the same.

A lot of people use BSD specifically because it is not Linux and they don't want monoculture in their environment for security reasons.

Hardware support isn't bad on BSD in enterprise it really doesn't matter much anymore.. does it support VMWare? ok 90%'s taken care of, it supports Intel? ok thats the rest. lol It's not like laptop hardware. If they deploy it they will just buy systems that work with it. (Just like they did with Sun)
                Last edited by k1e0x; 06 March 2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                  It has a better firewall
                  It's irrelevant for a storage appliance or home NAS like FreeNAS, and it's not a huge difference overall.

it's container system is better
                  Not really, also it does not support the most common container system used everywhere, docker. ( I mean yes it can use docker if you run a Linux VM in it, but then what's the point)

Hardware support isn't bad on BSD
                  Yeah sure, on FreeNAS they go down to limiting the firmware versions of the SAS HBA (crossflashed RAID card) you can use depending on the OS version because the driver expects it.
                  And god forbid if you have a motherboard where ACPI tables aren't perfect because it will kernel panic on boot on systems where Linux boots fine because it has the quirks to workaround that specific ACPI table bug. And I'm talking of old socket 775 Intel server motherboards, not anything particularly exotic.

in enterprise it really doesn't matter much
                  As long as other OSes can't offer the same stuff, and this is what OpenZFS (with ZoL branch) actually does. It really seems the OpenZFS project is going to be responsible of ZFS users abandoning *BSDs (that started with one of the bigger ZFS backers migrating to Linux a year or so ago) and even iXsystems are preparing a viable escape route if that happens (by making sure their core product aka FreeNAS GUI and middleware can be run on Linux too).
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 07 March 2020, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X