Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Open-Source Bootloader For Windows Lets You Run Off Btrfs, Other Possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Why create an open bootloader for a closed os?
    If they want to work on Btrfs, better fixing its bugs. Or maybe work on BcacheFS.
    Why create something open like Linux for a closed PC? Or is your PC one of the few lucky ones that runs an open source BIOS?

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I think this is awesome news. Cross-platform bootloaders and file systems are what I've been wanting for a long time now.
    rEFInd is a cross-platform bootloader.

Leave a comment:

• chriswyatt
    replied
    Originally posted by mifritscher View Post
    It could be used by ReactOS as well...
    ReactOS was the first thing I thought of. It does actually support BTRFS already, so, perhaps it was an inspiration for this project?

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post

and in the same vein as your comment...
    why post useless comments on a website when you could be doing something more productive?

surely people doing their own thing is more than enough of a reason to do things.
    Maybe that *is* his thing. Providing a dissenting opinion is a huge responsibility, and I appreciate him for bearing this burden. Keep doing your thing ALRBP your courage has not gone unnoticed.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 13 February 2020, 11:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied

But you still need to be using a Windows compatible file system.

As a ZFS user who does use multiple operating systems, the prospect of a bootloader that boots multiple operating systems is a very appealing idea and if paired with a workhorse of a file system like ZFS or BTRFS, has the potential to really pave the way for what's to come.

Anyways, we (the community) derailed the Stratis thread with too much damn ZFS talk and we don't need to do it here.
    Because ZFS sucks and Stratis is an attempt to get ZFS like features using the existing functionality of the Linux kernel.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

You can use decrypt LUKs from Windows.
    But you still need to be using a Windows compatible file system.

As a ZFS user who does use multiple operating systems, the prospect of a bootloader that boots multiple operating systems is a very appealing idea and if paired with a workhorse of a file system like ZFS or BTRFS, has the potential to really pave the way for what's to come.

Anyways, we (the community) derailed the Stratis thread with too much damn ZFS talk and we don't need to do it here.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied

Yeah, but it doesn't have anywhere near the level of features or ability of, well, a lot of file systems. Once OpenZFS hits 2.0.0 and their BSD and Linux versions are on feature parity w/o needing to run FreeBSD from git master it's gonna be awesome...native file system encryption between multiple operating systems, Zstd compression, and a lot more. Y'all should read their upcoming features.
    You can use decrypt LUKs from Windows.

Leave a comment:

• dragon321
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Why create an open bootloader for a closed os?
    Because it would be nice to have good open source bootloader for Windows with more options than original has?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by Britoid View Post

exFAT is a cross-platform filesystem.
    Yeah, but it doesn't have anywhere near the level of features or ability of, well, a lot of file systems. Once OpenZFS hits 2.0.0 and their BSD and Linux versions are on feature parity w/o needing to run FreeBSD from git master it's gonna be awesome...native file system encryption between multiple operating systems, Zstd compression, and a lot more. Y'all should read their upcoming features.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied

Well...there's BTRFS like in TFA. OpenZFS has a Windows Port in progress. ReactOS like mentioned above.

I think this is awesome news. Cross-platform bootloaders and file systems are what I've been wanting for a long time now.

If you dual+ boot this sounds like a terrific idea. No more chainloading from bootloader to bootloader.

And the concept of boot environments for multiple operating systems...fuck me this is a hidden gem of awesome potential.
    exFAT is a cross-platform filesystem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X