Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku R1 Beta 2 Is Hopefully Not Too Far Away

Phoronix: Haiku R1 Beta 2 Is Hopefully Not Too Far Away

The BeOS-inspired Haiku operating system that has been in development since 2001 saw its long-awaited beta release in late 2018 while it looks like a second beta release could be on approach for this open-source operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any hopes to see USB4 support soon?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Any hopes to see USB4 support soon?
      Yes, ten years later.

Comment

Would be nice to see Tracker (Haiku's DE) ported to Linux and Wayland.

Comment

Can't they just port anything worth porting from Haiku to Linux?
          What is so great about Haiku?

An interesting thing is that Google in their Fuschia operating system have the Zircon kernel which is derived from the Little Kernel developed by Travis Geiselbrecht, a creator of the NewOS kernel used by Haiku.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Can't they just port anything worth porting from Haiku to Linux?
            What is so great about Haiku?
            Port what? You could ask the same thing about FreeBSD. Haiku primarily exists for the sake of binary compatibility with BeOS.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Port what? You could ask the same thing about FreeBSD. Haiku primarily exists for the sake of binary compatibility with BeOS.
              I don't know what could be ported. Whatever it is that people deem desirable with Haiku, like any library or application, or desktop environment or something, I don't know.

But nobody uses BeOS, and there are no companies developing software for BeOS and no companies relying on legacy BeOS products which make them need Haiku as a replacement.

Comment

I don't know what could be ported. Whatever it is that people deem desirable with Haiku, like any library or application, or desktop environment or something, I don't know.
                That's my point - Haiku's existence isn't to compete with anything. Not every OS exists to be the best desktop/workstation/server. The only thing it does better than Linux is being lightweight, which you can't port over. A big part of the reason it is so lightweight is because of how little goes into it. As far as I'm aware, there is already a Linux equivalent to the few quirks of its GUI.
                People aren't using Haiku thinking it is better than Linux. It's primarily a hobbyist OS that just happens to have some actual functionality.
                But nobody uses BeOS, and there are no companies developing software for BeOS and no companies relying on legacy BeOS products which make them need Haiku as a replacement.
                Right, because they use Haiku instead. Do you question why anyone runs DOSBox? Because they're the same kind of people who run Haiku. That being said - a lot of Haiku users run it in a VM. It doesn't have much hardware acceleration and it isn't practical for day to day use (much like running DOS) so I wouldn't be surprised if most people running it don't have a dedicated machine or dual-boot with it.

Comment

You would have to ask on their forums, but AFAICR, there are companies that are still using it for AV work.

Comment

I like it very much!

Comment

Working...
                    X