Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NetBSD 9.0 Coming Soon With 64-bit ARM, Updated ZFS, Hardware-Accelerated Virtualization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetBSD 9.0 Coming Soon With 64-bit ARM, Updated ZFS, Hardware-Accelerated Virtualization

Phoronix: NetBSD 9.0 Coming Soon With 64-bit ARM, Updated ZFS, Hardware-Accelerated Virtualization

The second release candidate of NetBSD 9.0 is now available for testing of what should be the last test candidate before the stable NetBSD 9 unveiling in the very near future...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-RC2-Released

As always appreciate the BSD news Michael. Other than the Reddit subs there isn't much in the way of BSD news. Would love to see NetBSD 9 benchmarked when it is final. I know I said I would benchmark OpenBSD 6.6 vs NetBSD 9 vs FreeBSD 12.1 for you around Christmas but school started back up and I got busy so nothing ever came out of the project. Couldn't get the benchmarking tools to run on OpenBSD at all after spending hours on it but I don't deal with Open or Net very often mostly just FreeBSD.

Comment

Ooh... as soon as release hits I'll pop it on my RPi4 and see how it goes. I always like the idea of a *BSD, but usually end up going back to a Linux flavour I know better. Comfort in familiarity, and all that.

Comment

Are there any reason to choose NetBSD over FreeBSD? Apart from it runs on nearly everything.

Comment

What they should bring is better Raspberry PI support and this should include:

-Expansion shields
          -Fully support all v1.3 2.1 and other Raspberry PI Cameras and motion
          -Fully support Raspberry PI touch screens

Let's face it right now the leader on Raspi platform amongst BSDs is FreeBSD, NetBSD has a lot to catch up and OpenBSD ... doesn't even plan on supporting the platform regardless that they could get tens of millions of new users if they would.

With systemd cancering the PI as well people looking for alternatives, there is no way to run a malware on a mini computer with very limited resources!

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            Let's face it right now the leader on Raspi platform amongst BSDs is FreeBSD, NetBSD has a lot to catch up and OpenBSD ... doesn't even plan on supporting the platform
            OpenBSD supports the Pi fairly well.

https://www.openbsd.org/arm64.html

You are right though; FreeBSD is the better support out of the 3 BSDs for the Pi.
            Yes, NetBSD supports *everything* but at quite a basic level. With FreeBSD you get less range of hardware but what it does support it does pretty well. I think even the camera and GPIO are accessible.

Comment

ksec here are some user stories why they choose NetBSD over others https://www.unitedbsd.com/d/90-netbs...sd-and-openbsd

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                Ooh... as soon as release hits I'll pop it on my RPi4 and see how it goes. I always like the idea of a *BSD, but usually end up going back to a Linux flavour I know better. Comfort in familiarity, and all that.
                Same here.

What's funny is if it were 10 years ago I wouldn't have a hard choice and would likely pick a random BSD over a random Linux distribution. Proton, Steam, Wine, and access to a lot of my Windows games keeps me on Linux and makes other OSs nonviable as a daily driver. Once BSD's Wine, Linux compat layer, and AMDGPU driver stack gets close to what Linux now can accomplish, BSD will be a lot more appealing to me.

It reminds me of that scene on Stargate Atlantis about them trying to get Solitaire removed from all the PCs and how it always finds its way back and McKay making the comment about how it's hard to keep a geek away from their games.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                  With systemd cancering the PI as well people looking for alternatives, there is no way to run a malware on a mini computer with very limited resources!
                  embedded device malware runs in devices with 32MB of RAM too, didn't you look at the reports from botnets composed of IoT devices? ("smart" fridges/TV/washers/whatever)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Once BSD's Wine, Linux compat layer, and AMDGPU driver stack gets close to what Linux now can accomplish, BSD will be a lot more appealing to me.
                    This also assumes Linux is sitting on its ass for the many years needed to BSDs to do this and catch up. I don't see this in the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X