Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 12.1 Runs Refreshingly Well With AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X - Benchmarks Against Windows + Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    Great article Michael. You seem to be the only one who gives the *BSDs any benchmarking love. I wonder was FreeBSD tested with root on ZFS or UFS? UFS would be more similar to the ext4 default of the Linux distros and ZFS more similar to btrfs.
    There are tons of people (like myself) that don't use ext4. What you said would be more appropriate in a filesystem benchmark comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      Great article Michael. You seem to be the only one who gives the *BSDs any benchmarking love. I wonder was FreeBSD tested with root on ZFS or UFS? UFS would be more similar to the ext4 default of the Linux distros and ZFS more similar to btrfs.
      It's shown in the system table that a default ZFS file-system was used. But yeah not too particularly important with not any I/O heavy tests being used in this particular article.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
        There are far less problems than with BSD. Didn't you hear this joke? I managed to install BSD on my laptop. Did it launch? No, but who cares?
        Give it a rest now finally? I am writing this from a laptop. With a working WiFi, power management, function keys et cetera. Moreover, it's one of these machines with Optimus hybrid graphics with running OpenGL acceleration.

Like I said, dude. Sour apples.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post

Like I said, dude. Sour apples.
          Nice.. I wonder why KDE says 12.0 on 12.1 tho.

"BSD on a laptop? No..... That's not true... That's impossible!"
          Join the dark side Volta
          Last edited by k1e0x; 03 December 2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by betam4x View Post

There are tons of people (like myself) that don't use ext4. What you said would be more appropriate in a filesystem benchmark comparison.
            I know a lot of people don't use ext4 but it is the default on many Linux distros and the default file system is what is normally tested here. I didn't realize that the benchmarks here all were done in ram and thought some were writing to disk so my mistake.

Comment

ZFS causes some test overhead over Ext4 or UFS. In the very least the kernel module is much larger and is has some extra layers on reads. (UFS is technically FreeBSD's default still in the install tho most ppl change it nowdays..)

I don't have too much of a problem with it because there can be a lot of tuning on those benchmarks but FreeBSD ZFS should be tested vs Linux ZFS and Default FreeBSD should be tested against Default Linux. Whatever filesystem is used for that distro. That would compare the results you'd see on unconfigured virtual cloud installs.
              Last edited by k1e0x; 03 December 2019, 05:48 PM.

Comment

No transcoding on FreeBSD boxes for Netflix, just content delivery system.. basically nginx tuned up to the wazoo with kernel improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                  No transcoding on FreeBSD boxes for Netflix, just content delivery system.. basically nginx tuned up to the wazoo with kernel improvements.

Comment

Working...
                  X