Microsoft Talks Up The Concept Of Panes, Tab Reordering For Windows Terminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slayerizer

DiskMaster (also on Amiga) had it 3 full years ahead of DirectoryOpus .
    diskmaster

http://eab.abime.net/attachment.php?...3&d=1322466233

That only strengthens my point that Konqueror never was ahead of its time with this feature Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That only strengthens my point that Konqueror never was ahead of its time with this feature Thanks for sharing!
      That screenshot looks like a variation on a pattern known as orthodox file managers. Those have been around on the PC since at least 1984 (PathMinder and Norton Commander two years later) with Midnight Commander and various GUI mc-alikes existing on Linux for ages.

What was unusual about Konqueror was that, as a side effect of being an arbitrarily splittable harness for KParts and KIOSlaves, you could use it as a regular file manager, orthodox file manager, file browser with a preview pane, or anything in between. As far as its internal architecture is concerned, directory browsing is just a mimetype→KPart association like any of the internal preview options you can enable, but using a KPart which provides a file browser view.

(I still think that Dophin being artificially crippled on the KPart preview front is an attempt to hide how close it is to being an NIH rewrite of Konqueror, given what KIOSlaves and KParts enable. Aside from all the extra security features and addons people want, a web browser is just glueing together the HTTP KIOSlave and an HTML-rendering KPart. KParts really are ActiveX done properly by not allowing web content to request installation or ask for a part more specifically than "gimme something that'll render mimetype X".)
      Last edited by ssokolow; 30 November 2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
        Don't be a fool. We had a open source OS, compiler, windowing system, office, browser, etc. aka everything before. Microsoft is one of the most evil and hostile companies on earth. They only do OpenSource to secure their future money grabbing monopoly business. Linux or any open source did not need M$ to come a long and try to take things back and over.
        Sure, we had a lot of stuff open source before. Microsoft is a company, and as such it is by nature profit driven, just like all other companies, but the Microsoft of today is different of the Microsoft of the past.

Microsoft is now the biggest contributor to open source. Their business is now centered around subscriptions for services such as Azure, Office and Xbox. They brought many nice software to Linux such as Visual Studio Code and TypeScript, which are truly open source in a real FSF-approved, OSI-approved open source license.

Microsoft isn't good or or evil, it is a profit-driven business which has transitioned from selling products to selling services and hence no longer sees open source as a threat. It went from an enemy to open source to ally.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Sure, we had a lot of stuff open source before. Microsoft is a company, and as such it is by nature profit driven, just like all other companies, but the Microsoft of today is different of the Microsoft of the past.

Microsoft is now the biggest contributor to open source. Their business is now centered around subscriptions for services such as Azure, Office and Xbox. They brought many nice software to Linux such as Visual Studio Code and TypeScript, which are truly open source in a real FSF-approved, OSI-approved open source license.

Microsoft isn't good or or evil, it is a profit-driven business which has transitioned from selling products to selling services and hence no longer sees open source as a threat. It went from an enemy to open source to ally.
          Biggest contributor in crap I don't need. Don't make a mistake, Microsoft did not change at it's core. https://www.reddit.com/r/opensource/...company_today/ https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html

I don't need Microsoft for my open source used, and have not in 20 years. In fact the sub-par quality, and monopolist crap is why I changed from Windows to Linux around 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemerian View Post

Sets is another thing.

I'm talking about the explorer itself.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2019/1...xplorer-plans/
            That seems to be for win10x, not the traditional desktop but MS have been babbling on for years about doing something about FE but we have seen fuck all apart from the horrible ribbon so I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Microsoft Talks Up The Concept Of Panes, Tab Reordering For Windows Terminal

This week Microsoft released Windows Terminal Preview 0.7 with some groundbreaking features... Well compared to Command Prompt and the existing PowerShell terminal, but capabilities many Linux terminal emulators have offered for years...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...s-Terminal-0.7
              Welcome to 1996 Microsoft, congrats....

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Ahead of its time? Directory Opus on Amiga OS supported split view long before Konqueror.
                Directory Opus and DiskMaster (mentioned by slayerizer) is before my time. I must say I'm very impressed. I'm not a fan of the simple UI.

Comment

Working...
                X