X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andyprough
    replied
    "FreeBSD is entering the 21st century, by buying ......... A LAPTOP!"

For some reason I get the image of the knights who say "Nee" from Monty Python's Holy Grail demanding that King Arthur cut down the tallest tree in the forest with "A FISH!"

Leave a comment:

• k1e0x
    replied
    I like FreeBSD a lot but I don't really see the point to this too too much. It's good that it works on these systems and getting it to work might be beneficial in some ways but the real focus should be on Servers/Workstations. (tho.. I guess it already runs well there)

If people want to do it it's fine but really it's kind of a trap to try to support every wierd touchpad and wifi card.. let Linux do that. I also agree that macOS is already BSD on the desktop. (albeit a bit of a bastard, so I get why ppl don't want to do this)

Really they need to focus more on tooling to integrate FreeBSD better into enterprise networks.
    Last edited by k1e0x; 26 November 2019, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
    FreeBSD developers use MacOS and runs FreeBSD on virtual machines.
    It's probably an only way to run it on a laptop. Truly outstanding qualities.

Leave a comment:

• danmcgrew
    replied
    Originally posted by Dharc View Post
    Why the hell thinkpads? Thinkpads are the best laptops for freebsd since ever. Why the hel the dont buy an Asus, Dell, HP, Acer?
    The sentiments expressed are understandable. There are now a lot of very good Linux laptops which would make extremely good platforms on which to demonstrate the outstanding qualities of (Free)BSD.
    Two that immediately come to mind, for totally different reasons, are the Slimbook Pro2, designed in Spain; and the $199.95 Pinebook Pro.

The Slimbook Pro2 is a very well done, traditional-design (x86-based), high-quality computer, with (somewhat) traditional pricing.
    The Pinebook Pro is, on the other hand, an ARM-based, low-cost LINUX computer with very good characteristics, which should allow many more people than would normally be able, to be introduced to Linux, and to FreeBSD.
    Oh, and A VERY BIG "...by the way...", the Pine Organization is looking for someone, anyone, to port *BSD to the Pinebook Pro.

Here's your big chance, FreeBSD. The Pine Organization has made it very well known that it will provide, free of charge--and with good support--the hardware necessary for you to undertake this 'porting' process--and that they are extremely interested in having *BSD (as they put it) running on the Pinebook Pro. All you have to do is send an email to TL Lim, the founder.

The Slimbook Pro2 is here - Very, VERY nice
    Updated: September 7, 2018
    https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...-pro2-here.htm

NOTE: for some reason, this hyperlink doesn't work--sometimes.
    Simply type "Slimbook Pro 2" into your favorite search engine.

November Update: Brave Heart, Pinebook Pro reception and more
    5 Nov, 2019
    https://www.pine64.org/2019/11/05/br...on-pinephones/

Last edited by danmcgrew; 26 November 2019, 03:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mario Junior
    replied
    FreeBSD developers use MacOS and runs FreeBSD on virtual machines.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Originally posted by Dharc View Post
    Why the hell thinkpads? Thinkpads are the best laptops for freebsd since ever. Why the hel the dont buy an Asus, Dell, HP, Acer?
    Probably because this TP uses a single production line. There are so many laptops now that are reference designed by someone like Quanta or Foxconn and then made at "who wins the bid of the month" factory in Asia. I am not saying Lenovo doesn't do that as well, I am saying that TP model probably doesn't.

Even some components these days that are labeled "HP" are a sub, of a sub, of a sub.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Contibued improvements to its dated FUSE support.

Leave a comment:

• Dharc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FreeBSD Foundation Buying Newer Laptops To Help Improve Hardware Support

Phoronix: FreeBSD Foundation Buying Newer Laptops To Help Improve Hardware Support

The FreeBSD Q3-2019 quarterly report is now available. One of the interesting bits from this report is the FreeBSD Foundation planning to buy one or more families of new laptops to supply to their core developers in working to improve the modern hardware support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X