No announcement yet.

Netflix Is An Example Of A Great Open-Source Corporate Patron To FreeBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From talking with both engineers and management at Netflix, they looked at FreeBSD as more of an enablement tool for their actual business (being a creator and distributor of content), and not, itself, the goal (otherwise, I suppose, they could be selling a FastBSD OS (Netflix controls the fast.com domain)). When they run into an issue for themselves they can choose to devote the needed resources to address it (scratch their own itch), and then, as carrying significant patches increases their ongoing engineering costs it is clearly better to upstream. So, win, and win, for both Netflix and the community.

Comment

"Netflix" "Great" and "Open" in the same sentence. Seriously ? Until they stop using DRM, they will NEVER be "Great" and "Open" !

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
        "Netflix" "Great" and "Open" in the same sentence. Seriously ? Until they stop using DRM, they will NEVER be "Great" and "Open" !
        It's either the DRM or no content. Netflix has said in the past that it's Hollywood who tells them to put in DRM as part of the contracts.

Comment

At least Netflix own produced content is available in all regions.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

It's either the DRM or no content. Netflix has said in the past that it's Hollywood who tells them to put in DRM as part of the contracts.
            So Netflix's own productions are DRM-free ? AFAIK no, am I wrong ?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              I've heard that people just use PopcornTime instead and watch whatever they want for free. I don't have a TV or watch anything out of Hollywood, so I don't really care.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
                Using freshbsd you can see all commits from Netflix to FreeBSD. For example here's the list of commits to FreeBSD's -HEAD branch by Netflix. It's probably not 100% accurate, but it lists around 1,300 commits.
                I replaced "Netflix" with "Sony" in your query - and found 0 result.

Isn't Sony the largest user with more than 100 million PS4 consoles running the FreeBSD kernel ? Haven't they contributed anything back?

Comment

Originally posted by mick3 View Post

I replaced "Netflix" with "Sony" in your query - and found 0 result.

Isn't Sony the largest user with more than 100 million PS4 consoles running the FreeBSD kernel ? Haven't they contributed anything back?
                  I'm not an authority on this, but I don't think Sony contributes much back at all. Their internal additions to FreeBSD are likely seen as stuff they want to keep internal (e.g. the custom graphics stack and driver support for their semi-custom AMD SoC). I think they have contributed to LLVM/clang, as that is not touching secret sauce directly.

Comment

There is nothing more fun than reading ANY linux related forum (save for getting a triple rootcanal i guess) when it comes to finding ways to talk trash about everything.

If ALL block-buster movies were totally free, on free computers you would get FOR FREE, running FREE linux, with FREE monitors and what the f.. not, i am 110% sure some linux forum would overflow with "Meh.. shitty hardware.. if only the manufacturers had the wits to charge for their stuff, they could actually make good shit!"

Seriously.. Netflix is IMO the greatest LEAP in the right direction of having available entertainment. Lots of their own created series and movies are great... And ppl blame Netflix cos the moviecompanies still live in the -80'ies and would rather sell DVD's for $100 a pop?

Christ, Linux ppl are definitively the crowd that can find crap with ANY aspect of ANYTHING. All things have some crap attached.. there is NEVER such a thing as "free", even tho you like to think it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Cybmax View Post
                      There is nothing more fun than reading ANY linux related forum (save for getting a triple rootcanal i guess) when it comes to finding ways to talk trash about everything.

If ALL block-buster movies were totally free, on free computers you would get FOR FREE, running FREE linux, with FREE monitors and what the f.. not, i am 110% sure some linux forum would overflow with "Meh.. shitty hardware.. if only the manufacturers had the wits to charge for their stuff, they could actually make good shit!"

Seriously.. Netflix is IMO the greatest LEAP in the right direction of having available entertainment. Lots of their own created series and movies are great... And ppl blame Netflix cos the moviecompanies still live in the -80'ies and would rather sell DVD's for $100 a pop?

Christ, Linux ppl are definitively the crowd that can find crap with ANY aspect of ANYTHING. All things have some crap attached.. there is NEVER such a thing as "free", even tho you like to think it is.
                      Well then, as long as you are entertained, I guess it doesn't matter that the world gets bogged down in a DRM nightmare where private ownership rights are destroyed for profit. We should all just shut up and let you get back to your important TV viewing.

Comment

Working...
                      X