Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenBSD 6.6 Arrives: Disables GCC In Base For ARMv7/i386, SMP Improvements, AMDGPU Added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD 6.6 Arrives: Disables GCC In Base For ARMv7/i386, SMP Improvements, AMDGPU Added

Phoronix: OpenBSD 6.6 Arrives: Disables GCC In Base For ARMv7/i386, SMP Improvements, AMDGPU Added

Theo de Raadt released OpenBSD 6.6 today as the newest feature update to this popular BSD operating system known for its security focus...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Already updated a few ssh bastions. The sysupgrade utility makes it quite fast and painless. Can't wait to get home and upgrade my router.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      support for the crytpo co-processor found on newer AMD APUs/CPUs,

Comment

They've also dropped support for SGI MIPS with this version, which is very sad indeed for the handful of us still running such systems. Oh well, at least we'll always have NetBSD.

Comment

> support for the crypto co-processor found on newer AMD APUs/CPUs

Wasn't it OpenBSD where they wanted to kick out all the HW crypto accelerations? (Okay, maybe it's optional and a decision by user to use or not use it.)
          But with AMDGPU onboard now it might actually be interesting to take a glance on OpenBSD. One won't do gaming there likely, but having power management and the usual features of video acceleration or some OpenGL available if needed, is definitely a good thing.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Wasn't it OpenBSD where they wanted to kick out all the HW crypto accelerations?
            Definitely no. That makes zero sense.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Definitely no. That makes zero sense.
              I think it was more that they shouldn't be trusted alone. Basically Intel and AMD are potentially "untrustworthy" so it would be daft to use their hardware as the sole source of entropy.
              As far as accelerating existing crypto algorithms, I don't see that as an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                > support for the crypto co-processor found on newer AMD APUs/CPUs

Wasn't it OpenBSD where they wanted to kick out all the HW crypto accelerations? (Okay, maybe it's optional and a decision by user to use or not use it.)
                But with AMDGPU onboard now it might actually be interesting to take a glance on OpenBSD. One won't do gaming there likely, but having power management and the usual features of video acceleration or some OpenGL available if needed, is definitely a good thing.
                You're both mixing up sources of randomness and crypto. The issues there are not an issue with OpenBSD.

Comment

I wonder how current the AMDGPU support is, how much it lags behind the Linux efforts? Great to see it land though.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    I wonder how current the AMDGPU support is, how much it lags behind the Linux efforts? Great to see it land though.
                    Yeah, it would be nice if they put the actual chipsets supported in the manual. I seem to remember something like that before but I can't find it.

Comment

Working...
                    X