Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edwaleni
    replied
    I wonder if Haiku will bring along any of its BeOS Power platform roots?

The original BeBox with BeOS was a dual socket Power 603-66 and they showed a 4 socket model privately. (it was later ported to the PowerMac)

Can you see a dual socket Raptor Talos running Haiku? Just curious.

It would be an interesting product coming full circle.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    phoronix
    The developers remain though as busy as ever with advancing this interesting open-source project.
    "though" makes no sense within the context of that sentence.

Leave a comment:

• Oddsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Mainstream? Neither Linux nor MacOS are mainstream yet they have large followings. Considering BeOS uniqueness I would hope that it continues to grow. The mono-culture is real so anything that pressures that is valuable.
    I think Linux and MacOS are large enough and dominant in certain markets that they could be called mainstream, but yes Windows is really the 'culture' of IT these days and I love dabbling with the alternatives even if they don't end up replacing my workhorse.

Leave a comment:

• Spam
    replied
    Thinking about it. They probably have a better chance getting done before X is replaced with wayland!

Leave a comment:

• Spam
    replied
    Linux is getting very fragmented and bulky. Rather amazing it works as well as it does. Love haiku though. Very well planned and executed desktop environment. Perhaps a little dated look for those that like all that. But it is a matter of preference

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by Oddsocks View Post
    I don't think Haiku will ever become mainstream and it probably doesn't need to be, but it's great to see alternative projects like this progressing a in world of IT mono-culture.
    Mainstream? Neither Linux nor MacOS are mainstream yet they have large followings. Considering BeOS uniqueness I would hope that it continues to grow. The mono-culture is real so anything that pressures that is valuable.

Leave a comment:

• Oddsocks
    replied
    I don't think Haiku will ever become mainstream and it probably doesn't need to be, but it's great to see alternative projects like this progressing a in world of IT mono-culture.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X