BeOS-Inspired Haiku Making Progress On ARM, Various Kernel Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
    I wonder if Haiku will bring along any of its BeOS Power platform roots?
    There were an "unsupported powerpc build" a few years back, but the page is empty now https://download.haiku-os.org/nightly-images/ppc/ According to Wayback machine they stopped around r42762.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Now if only there was something like an X server implementation for Haiku like there is for e.g. AmigaOS 4, then I'd switch to Haiku full-time because there two X-dependent apps I can't live without.
      BeOS had an X11 port. No patches really needed, so it probably can be built on Haiku. Might have to try an older XFree86 version though.

Comment

I wonder if Haiku will bring along any of its BeOS Power platform roots?
        I would love to see it in this Power Laptop..

Comment

macOS is semi-mainstream on Desktop Planet and pretty much absent on Server Planet.
          Apple built a rackmount Mac server, like 10 years ago. I don't think they ever followed it up, though.

Comment

The original BeBox with BeOS was a dual socket Power 603-66 and they showed a 4 socket model privately. (it was later ported to the PowerMac)
            I saw one of their original demos, on that hardware.

I bought the last version of BeOS for x86 and ran it on a quad-CPU Pentium Pro. It was awesome, for the time - the most responsive multitasking experience I ever had, 'till then. IIRC, it had a bash shell and could even mount my ext2 filesystems.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
              I saw one of their original demos, on that hardware.

I bought the last version of BeOS for x86 and ran it on a quad-CPU Pentium Pro. It was awesome, for the time - the most responsive multitasking experience I ever had, 'till then. IIRC, it had a bash shell and could even mount my ext2 filesystems.
              Yes. I ran BeOS on an IBM workstation with the first "overdrive" upgrade they came out with. Then on a Compaq Deskpro Pentium II. I tried to run it on a IBM dual Pentium III workstation, but it kept hanging on something and Be was RIP by then. Seems the APIC had changed just enough to keep BeOS from booting. After that I put it away.

I agree on the responsive desktop. But I have lost all of those custom "BeBits" I acquired during its life. There was a somewhat healthy dev community out there creating cool widgets. That is another thing I miss about it.

It never reached a level that Linux enjoys today but many were very functional.

There is still a story about Virtual PC after they were bought by MSFT. MSFT was bragging about how *Any* x86 OS could boot inside VPC. Someone asked "what about BeOS?" At the time it couldn't. After many months of testing they still couldn't.
              The new VPC product manager said some unkind words about it.

Comment

Originally posted by digitalsin View Post

BeOS had an X11 port. No patches really needed, so it probably can be built on Haiku. Might have to try an older XFree86 version though.
                Thanks a lot, I will keep that in mind!

Comment

Apple built a rackmount Mac server, like 10 years ago. I don't think they ever followed it up, though.
                  macOS Server is still available and being worked on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Server
                  But again: no one really uses it.

Comment

macOS Server is still available and being worked on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_Server
                    But again: no one really uses it.
                    That's an OS, whereas I was talking about a hardware product that was like a 1U or 2U rackmount box. I think probably towards the end of their PowerPC era.

And I would guess the main users of the server software are inside Apple. For things like corporate file servers, their cloud services, etc.

Comment

That's an OS, whereas I was talking about a hardware product that was like a 1U or 2U rackmount box. I think probably towards the end of their PowerPC era.
                      But you replied to me earlier and I was talking about the OS the whole time.

Comment

Working...
                      X