Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BeOS-Inspired Haiku Making Progress On ARM, Various Kernel Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BeOS-Inspired Haiku Making Progress On ARM, Various Kernel Improvements

    Phoronix: BeOS-Inspired Haiku Making Progress On ARM, Various Kernel Improvements

    Just last week marked the one year anniversary since shipping the Haiku R1 beta release for this BeOS-inspired open-source operating system. The developers remain though as busy as ever with advancing this interesting open-source project...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...September-2019

  • #2
    I don't think Haiku will ever become mainstream and it probably doesn't need to be, but it's great to see alternative projects like this progressing a in world of IT mono-culture.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Oddsocks View Post
      I don't think Haiku will ever become mainstream and it probably doesn't need to be, but it's great to see alternative projects like this progressing a in world of IT mono-culture.
      Mainstream? Neither Linux nor MacOS are mainstream yet they have large followings. Considering BeOS uniqueness I would hope that it continues to grow. The mono-culture is real so anything that pressures that is valuable.

      Comment


      • #4
        Linux is getting very fragmented and bulky. Rather amazing it works as well as it does. Love haiku though. Very well planned and executed desktop environment. Perhaps a little dated look for those that like all that. But it is a matter of preference

        Comment


        • #5
          Thinking about it. They probably have a better chance getting done before X is replaced with wayland!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

            Mainstream? Neither Linux nor MacOS are mainstream yet they have large followings. Considering BeOS uniqueness I would hope that it continues to grow. The mono-culture is real so anything that pressures that is valuable.
            I think Linux and MacOS are large enough and dominant in certain markets that they could be called mainstream, but yes Windows is really the 'culture' of IT these days and I love dabbling with the alternatives even if they don't end up replacing my workhorse.

            Comment


            • #7
              phoronix
              The developers remain though as busy as ever with advancing this interesting open-source project.
              "though" makes no sense within the context of that sentence.

              Comment


              • #8
                I wonder if Haiku will bring along any of its BeOS Power platform roots?

                The original BeBox with BeOS was a dual socket Power 603-66 and they showed a 4 socket model privately. (it was later ported to the PowerMac)

                Can you see a dual socket Raptor Talos running Haiku? Just curious.

                It would be an interesting product coming full circle.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Oddsocks View Post

                  I think Linux and MacOS are large enough and dominant in certain markets that they could be called mainstream, but yes Windows is really the 'culture' of IT these days and I love dabbling with the alternatives even if they don't end up replacing my workhorse.
                  Linux is mainstream on Server Planet, but not so much on Desktop Planet. macOS is semi-mainstream on Desktop Planet and pretty much absent on Server Planet.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Spam View Post
                    Thinking about it. They probably have a better chance getting done before X is replaced with wayland!
                    Now if only there was something like an X server implementation for Haiku like there is for e.g. AmigaOS 4, then I'd switch to Haiku full-time because there two X-dependent apps I can't live without.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X