BeOS-Inspired Haiku Making Progress On ARM, Various Kernel Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeOS-Inspired Haiku Making Progress On ARM, Various Kernel Improvements

Phoronix: BeOS-Inspired Haiku Making Progress On ARM, Various Kernel Improvements

Just last week marked the one year anniversary since shipping the Haiku R1 beta release for this BeOS-inspired open-source operating system. The developers remain though as busy as ever with advancing this interesting open-source project...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...September-2019

I don't think Haiku will ever become mainstream and it probably doesn't need to be, but it's great to see alternative projects like this progressing a in world of IT mono-culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsocks View Post
      I don't think Haiku will ever become mainstream and it probably doesn't need to be, but it's great to see alternative projects like this progressing a in world of IT mono-culture.
      Mainstream? Neither Linux nor MacOS are mainstream yet they have large followings. Considering BeOS uniqueness I would hope that it continues to grow. The mono-culture is real so anything that pressures that is valuable.

Comment

Linux is getting very fragmented and bulky. Rather amazing it works as well as it does. Love haiku though. Very well planned and executed desktop environment. Perhaps a little dated look for those that like all that. But it is a matter of preference

Comment

Thinking about it. They probably have a better chance getting done before X is replaced with wayland!

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Mainstream? Neither Linux nor MacOS are mainstream yet they have large followings. Considering BeOS uniqueness I would hope that it continues to grow. The mono-culture is real so anything that pressures that is valuable.
            I think Linux and MacOS are large enough and dominant in certain markets that they could be called mainstream, but yes Windows is really the 'culture' of IT these days and I love dabbling with the alternatives even if they don't end up replacing my workhorse.

Comment

phoronix
              The developers remain though as busy as ever with advancing this interesting open-source project.
              "though" makes no sense within the context of that sentence.

Comment

I wonder if Haiku will bring along any of its BeOS Power platform roots?

The original BeBox with BeOS was a dual socket Power 603-66 and they showed a 4 socket model privately. (it was later ported to the PowerMac)

Can you see a dual socket Raptor Talos running Haiku? Just curious.

It would be an interesting product coming full circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsocks View Post

I think Linux and MacOS are large enough and dominant in certain markets that they could be called mainstream, but yes Windows is really the 'culture' of IT these days and I love dabbling with the alternatives even if they don't end up replacing my workhorse.
                  Linux is mainstream on Server Planet, but not so much on Desktop Planet. macOS is semi-mainstream on Desktop Planet and pretty much absent on Server Planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
                    Thinking about it. They probably have a better chance getting done before X is replaced with wayland!
                    Now if only there was something like an X server implementation for Haiku like there is for e.g. AmigaOS 4, then I'd switch to Haiku full-time because there two X-dependent apps I can't live without.

Comment

Working...
                    X