Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Developer Shows Linux Commands Seamlessly Integrated Within Windows PowerShell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Templar82
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Windows has fantastic Windows Terminal and Powershell integration inside of desktop Linux. I can run all the Powershell commands I need right from Xfce or Gnome Shell! Awesome job Microsoft! Love the new feature! :3

What am I looking at here?

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Probably to some bastardized mutant hybrid.

Microsoft's new strategy is Infiltrate, Redirect, Absorb.

This is literally their strategy they used when they Infiltrated Nokia, Redirected them to make bad decisions, and then bought them at a low price to remove them from the competition pool.
    You got this so precisely (Microsoft ❤ Linux = Infiltrate, GNOME Shell = Redirect, ??? = Absorb), although isn't it the same as EEE? Because:
    - Infiltrate = Embrace
    - Absorb = Extinguish (when you absorb you exterminate)

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by q2dg View Post
    Leave Linux alone!
    That won't take you anywhere. The answer is: get cracking, Linux take the bull by the horns and don't stop until you are an actual desktop OS as good as, or better than, Windows or Macos.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Windows has fantastic Windows Terminal and Powershell integration inside of desktop Linux. I can run all the Powershell commands I need right from Xfce or Gnome Shell! Awesome job Microsoft! Love the new feature! :3

...you still using that pseudo-Linux Windows desktop?

Leave a comment:

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• q2dg
    replied
    Leave Linux alone!

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    This is literally their strategy they used when they Infiltrated Nokia, Redirected them to make bad decisions, and then bought them at a low price to remove them from the competition pool.
    Nokia made most of those bad decisions on their own sticking to Symbian well after it was clear they should have switched to making Android phones. Elop, who was from Microsoft, came in well after (Sep 2010) they had already missed the boat. Android 2.2 was already out by then.

Even the phones they had been shipping up until that time like the N8 were heavily delayed.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

It's open source, which means that everyone including Microsoft can implement whatever they want with it. If this posed so actual threat to the Linux ecosystem (which I don't think it does, but let's pretend for the sake of the argument), there are two possible strategies to counter it:

A. Whine; or
    B. Admit the possibility that in order to stay competitive and keep up with the competition, the Linux userland may need some radical changes in design and philosophy, since the use cases envisioned by Ritchie and Thompson may no longer be exclusively relevant in 2019.

Leave a comment:

• Slartifartblast
    replied
    More gifts from Microsoft

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Pretty interesting. Seems like it could be seriously error-prone (especially given all the exceptions needed just to handle "C:") but I'm interested to see where this leads.

Last edited by ElectricPrism; 26 September 2019, 03:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X