Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Developer Shows Linux Commands Seamlessly Integrated Within Windows PowerShell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why on earth would somebody want to use powershell when you can use bash instead

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

It is Xaero_Vincent's pseudo-Linux Windows OS install.
      ​​​​​It is basically Windows with the shell replaced by a full-screen instance of VMWare running a Linux distro with some scripts to run Windows games from that Linux virtualized instance.
      This way he thinks he can get support for all Windows games while having a Linux desktop running.

What is surprising is that he somehow got the Linux terminal window to appear as if it were part of the desktop instead of being always underneath (which was the case in 2017).
      That was the old setup but was an interesting use case at the time. I wrote several programs to manage the environment and make it more seamless. Now I have the exact opposite. :P

I've since upgraded to using native, bare-metal Arch Linux. Proton & Wine have improved vastly enough to play most games I want. At the time in 2017, Direct3D 9 was the best Wine could do. I use In-Home Streaming from a separate Windows box when I want to play any EAC/BattlEye protected or UWP/Windows Store games.

This is Arch Linux with a headless/invisible Windows 10 VM running locally on the same machine and using RemoteApp to run individual apps and a VM file share to share/access files between them. I made a simple script so that I can launch any Windows apps from Linux desktop launchers or shell scripts in this way. It's quite useful for dealing with UWP apps.

Considering that WSL2 is using a headless Hyper-V virtual machine, my new set-up is actually very similar, just using Windows rather than Linux guests. It's also similar in behavior to Chrome OS's Crostini.
      Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 27 September 2019, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Wow, this hate against MS is still real, even in 2019.
        Guys grow up, this news is good news for everybody!
        As an Arch user for over 10 years now, I really respect and appreciate the WSL efforts.

Comment

Is WSL open source? How does Microsoft deal with the terms of the GNU GPL to make all this happen?

Comment

Being stuck with Windows at work... I like the WSL1 thing (in combo with mintty), it has far less annoying quirks than a full VM or Cygwin.
            So I can happily work in vim and compile from within vim a windows program without having to deal with the crap windows vim or wine to build.

All Linux at home though and Windows can suck the big one if they want to weasel there way into there.

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
            Is WSL open source? How does Microsoft deal with the terms of the GNU GPL to make all this happen?
            No, it isn't. https://github.com/microsoft/WSL/issues/1 (Interesting note: it's the first issue created)

Comment

Originally posted by ed31337 View Post
              Actually it is. Here is the kernel used by WSL2: https://github.com/microsoft/WSL2-Linux-Kernel
              They are using thing kernel on top of that they are using different distributions container images, and boot all thing in thin VM on Hyper-V.
              So they not violate anything.

For WSL1 they are implemented compatibility layer inside the NT kernel, who translates Linux Syscalls in to Windows - so they not violate anything there too.

Actually MS are contributing patents and technologies to OpenSource lately - for example exfat implementation, 60,000 patents etc. - So it is not so bad

Comment

Originally posted by ryad View Post
                Wow, this hate against MS is still real, even in 2019.
                Guys grow up, this news is good news for everybody!
                As an Arch user for over 10 years now, I really respect and appreciate the WSL efforts.
                Never trust this man especially if he offers you sweeties.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

Nokia made most of those bad decisions on their own sticking to Symbian well after it was clear they should have switched to making Android phones. Elop, who was from Microsoft, came in well after (Sep 2010) they had already missed the boat. Android 2.2 was already out by then.

Even the phones they had been shipping up until that time like the N8 were heavily delayed.
                  Sticking with Symbian wasn't too bad. What was bad, however, was that they let it stagnate. Had they done as much with Symbian as Google did with Android, I'm pretty sure it would've been the 3rd major OS and still be competitive to this very day.

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
                    I want bash instead of powershell, even on Windows....
                    Meh, bash, scmasch. Fish ftw

Comment

Originally posted by robojerk View Post
                      If you just want grep, run bash scripts and stuff like that couldn't you just install git on Windows?
                      Or Cygwin?

Comment

Working...
                      X