Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homura Is A Windows Game Launcher For FreeBSD - Supports Steam, Origin, UPlay + More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

It's amazing how well Elite: Dangerous runs in proton after installing dotnet40. And the community support for tooling on linux is fantastic too so you can run, for example, Elite: Dangerous Market Connector (EDMC) without issue.
    Worth mentioning the major key on KDE: let it disable compositing. I went from bearable FPS to solid 144.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      BF3: you are going to fail. It's DX10 game first, second, Punkbuster boots you out of the server with GAME VIOLATION message about unknown drivers. Unless Wine has a way of emulating both, which I doubt. Battlelog did not require any bloatware, it was at some point made usable pluginless.
      By bloatware, I MEANT Battlelog. It won't let you join games when your browser doesn't report that it's on Windows, so people have to use browser addons like User-Agent Switcher to spoof around it.

Indeed, you have to install Punkbuster to run BF3 on Wine, and some people seem to get it to work. This guy does: https://youtu.be/IwAUzhd7f5Y

That video, then, defies explanation.

Does it even have proper traditional anticheat? As a separate group of invasive antivirus-like processes constantly monitoring your system. I doubt, basing my doubts off by following tid-bits: Game is being peer2peer and FD only managing service-related data. You should not be able to run random public "trainers" without any negative impacts to you.. Effective anticheats have no problems blocking players who use publicly downloadable stuff - problem childs are private hacks, subscription cheats et cetera.
      I'm not familiar enough with anticheat technology to distinguish "something" from "proper traditional anticheat", but there was a hubbub months ago about doing more to combat hacking, so I think they have "something".

They ostensibly DO let you use things like third-party mapping or notification software that presumably interfaces directly with the local game files, but I don't know how wide the semantic gulf between a program like that and a trainer is.

Elite Dangerous, if it even has anticheat, using central control by devstudio would be most reasonable. A la, "who is single-jumping vast distances, have abnormal ship configurations" etc. Better and reliable way to detect cheaters than trying to keep track of endless 'trainers'.
      That would make sense. :0

(I've seen my gunner in attack helicopter getting kicked for 'cheating' because he wiped like 20 enemies in a single burst of autocannon and that exceeded configured kills/second threshold for server-based anticheat). It was actually BF:BC2 where due to BC2 being abandonware Punkbuster hack updates no longer arrived and server admin tried to implement some additional custom script on the server in order to get rampant botting under control.
      Lol!

Man... these games sure weren't meant to be played this long.

Or on Linux. What a strange world we've cast ourselves into. ;w;

Comment

Originally posted by josh_walrath View Post
        By bloatware, I MEANT Battlelog. It won't let you join games when your browser doesn't report that it's on Windows, so people have to use browser addons like User-Agent Switcher to spoof around it.

Indeed, you have to install Punkbuster to run BF3 on Wine, and some people seem to get it to work. This guy does: https://youtu.be/IwAUzhd7f5Y
        ​​​​
        That video, then, defies explanation.
        Googling revealed that there is theoretical possibility of BF3 being forced to run in DX9 mode by using command line switches. Which was not supposed to be possible for more than choosing between DX10/DX11. That would offer reasonable explanation. I am not sure if it works with just particular GPU or generally.

I stopped playing BF:BC2 about year after BF3's release. Haven't checked it more than few times since then but it looked like it had more players/servers still online than BF3 or BF4.
        Lol!
        Originally posted by josh_walrath View Post
        Lol ... these games sure weren't meant to be played this long.

Or on Linux. What a strange world we've cast ourselves into. ;
        It's a result of DICE's/EA's idiocy. Many people disliked direction BF1 & BF5 went and upon looking for alternatives found Bad Company 2 still alive and kicking. And re-started playing it as well.

I found myself ArmA 3 and I've been content to play it's King Of The Hill modes. Close enough to BF.
        What Arma3 sucks for, is it's performance, I haven't tried to run it's Win client in emulation thus nor is there much point in trying it's experimental native Linux port (5 versions behind, not compatible with mp servers). Not sure what BattlEye would think of emulation either. I'd run it on BSD.

I ran into thread in FreeBSD forums where guy has been porting/patching Unreal engine for FreeBSD. So it's all technically possible to run games like Squad on BSD. Truth is, game's devs are not bothering not even with Linux port. So I think dual-booting will be the way to go for foreseeable future.
        Last edited by aht0; 24 September 2019, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X