Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homura Is A Windows Game Launcher For FreeBSD - Supports Steam, Origin, UPlay + More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you then use Steam Play to play windows games on BSD?

Comment

Does Lutris not run on FreeBSD? Not trying to downplay this project, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
        Can you then use Steam Play to play windows games on BSD?
        Not on OpenBSD - Linux emulation ABI has been removed for security purposes.
        "Maybe" on FreeBSD - By default Linux emulation is set to run using Centos 6 packages. These lack some critical libs for Steam. You can also use Centos 7 packages, with these, "maybe". Prepare to re-compile all the packages that might make use of Linux emulation if you go that way.
        DragonFly - unknown
        NetBSD - yeah. Runs Linux ABI using OpenSUSE packages. You can get the Steam client going.

Why Linux emulation? Because Valve is not providing BSD binaries for Steam.

Question tho. What would be the point? As windows's games anticheat engines won't function in emulated environment. Use the OS game's intended for.

Out of 50 or so, games, I have bought and listed in Steam Library, just 1 can run on Linux without problems (CS:S) and one has experimental, non-multiplayer port (ArmA3). None of my EA Games's Origin games (~10) would run on non-Windows OS.
        ​​​​
        Last edited by aht0; 22 September 2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          uestion tho. What would be the point? As windows's games anticheat engines won't function in emulated environment. Use the OS game's intended for.

Out of 50 or so, games, I have bought and listed in Steam Library, just 1 can run on Linux without problems (CS:S) and one has experimental, non-multiplayer port (ArmA3). None of my EA Games's Origin games (~10) would run on non-Windows OS.
          ​​​​
          Not all games have anti-cheat.

Many more games work than you give credit for.

And many Origin games work just fine, I've played them myself. CS:S Is also linux native so I'm not sure why you would even mention that? Of course it would work.

You are obviously missing some details -- linux users do not need to use WIndows for a very large number of games on steam. Are you just jealous and therefore dismissive or something? I don't have a problem with you using BSD but at least get your facts straight.

Comment

Question tho. What would be the point? ​​​​
            I don't use Windows.

As windows's games anticheat engines won't function in emulated environment.​​​​
            This isn't true as a blanket statement, "Squad" for example works just fine and "Rising Storm 2" worked on an earlier version. Although I wont deny you are generally correct lets not make broad statements that are false.

Out of 50 or so, games, I have bought and listed in Steam Library, just 1 can run on Linux without problems​​​​
            That's very unlucky because 75% of the top 1000 steam games are "Generally playable" or better. If you want to be picky 61% are considered "Perfect".

Use the OS game's intended for.​​​​
            No.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
              This isn't true as a blanket statement, "Squad" for example works just fine and "Rising Storm 2" worked on an earlier version. .
              Not to mention you can usually disable them when playing over a LAN or certainly single player. There is more to life than the internet

Comment

Question tho. What would be the point? As windows's games anticheat engines won't function in emulated environment. Use the OS game's intended for.

​​​​
                For 105 games I have on Steam, 48 is native for Linux. When you add Steam Play - I can play almost all my Steam library on Linux. I think point is pretty clear - you don't always need Windows to play some Windows games.

As for this project - pretty nice. GUI maybe isn't the best (it would be better written in GTK like Lutris) but idea is nice and makes installation some of Windows games/launcher easy. I hope author will add Linux compat support because some games working good on this and it will be probably faster than Wine.

Comment

As windows's games anticheat engines won't function in emulated environment. Use the OS game's intended for.

​​​​
                  Is this true???

Because, yes, I could only run my Mass Effect games on Origin; Battlefield 3 didn't work for me. But other people say it works, and that even has browser bloatware for matchmaking that you have to spoof.

Battlefield BC2 seems to work for people too: https://www.protondb.com/app/24960

CoD MW2, surprisingly, works for me in Proton.

Elite Dangerous works for me in Proton (with flawless performance and mouse, surprisingly).

Mordhau seems to work for people: https://www.protondb.com/app/629760

Sins works for me: https://www.protondb.com/app/204880

StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 and HotS and WoW and Overwatch (until recent Blizzard block of Linux agents) have all worked in the past.

(All of these games are either obligate multiplayer or I'm saying they work for me in multiplayer.)

Don't all these have anti-cheat that *is* working in an emulated environment?

I thought the anti-cheat just didn't work natively, which is more reason why multiplayer games never have native Linux ports.
                  Last edited by josh_walrath; 23 September 2019, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by josh_walrath View Post
                    Elite Dangerous works for me in Proton (with flawless performance and mouse, surprisingly).
                    It's amazing how well Elite: Dangerous runs in proton after installing dotnet40. And the community support for tooling on linux is fantastic too so you can run, for example, Elite: Dangerous Market Connector (EDMC) without issue.

Gaming on linux has gotten so good that I get immersed and forget I'm on linux, which is how it should be.

Even game streaming from steam works great!

Comment

Is this true???
                      Battlefield BC2 seems to work for people too: https://www.protondb.com/app/24960
                      Because, yes, I could only run my Mass Effect games on Origin; Battlefield 3 didn't work for me. But other people say it works, and that even has browser bloatware for matchmaking that you have to spoof.
                      BF:BC2 is XP/Vista era game, DX9/DX10 (latter support came with Vista and additional game patch), Punkbuster anticheat engine for it's MP portion. XP/Vista did not mandatorily REQUIRE signed drivers. It's Punkbuster server/client as is at present is next best thing to dysfunctional placeholder for an anticheat, so you can fuck with it unmercifully. XP security model it was designed for, is too lax. I spent MANY thousands of hours in this game.

​​​​More modern Punkbuster client requires among other things properly signed graphics drivers because modified drivers can and have been used for cheating. And Punkbuster server controlling game's dedicated server demands constant connection with Punkbuster's client in your PC - interrupt that : kick from game, meddle with drivers: kick from game, start some public cheat or self-created cheat off public resource (for example: based on Cheat Engine): permaban or kick, try to modify/hack Punkbuster client: permaban, even keep known cheats for ANOTHER game protected by Punkbuster in your PC: permaban (my friend got his BF HL account banned over some RTS 'trainer')

BF3: you are going to fail. It's DX10 game first, second, Punkbuster boots you out of the server with GAME VIOLATION message about unknown drivers. Unless Wine has a way of emulating both, which I doubt. Battlelog did not require any bloatware, it was at some point made usable pluginless.

CoD MW2, surprisingly, works for me in Proton.
                      It's using a VAC anticheat, combined with game's own peer2peer networking model. As a combination, it's an amazingly stupid fail because VAC secured games presume admins banning-kicking admining their DEDICATED servers. What it does not have. Cheater won't notice a thing before delayed ban would hit his account.
                      Does it even have proper traditional anticheat? As a separate group of invasive antivirus-like processes constantly monitoring your system. I doubt, basing my doubts off by following tid-bits: Game is being peer2peer and FD only managing service-related data. You should not be able to run random public "trainers" without any negative impacts to you.. Effective anticheats have no problems blocking players who use publicly downloadable stuff - problem childs are private hacks, subscription cheats et cetera.
                      Does not have anticheat engine.
                      StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3 and HotS and WoW and Overwatch (until recent Blizzard block of Linux agents) have all worked in the past.
                      Overwatch started off completely without anticheat, it was implemented recently.

Starcraft & friends had old (Warden?), which never went beyond scanning processes). Pre-Vista Windows's security models did not allow for much more.
                      All of these games are either obligate multiplayer or I'm saying they work for me in multiplayer.)

Don't all these have anti-cheat that *is* working in an emulated environment?

I thought the anti-cheat just didn't work natively, which is more reason why multiplayer games never have native Linux ports.
                      Anticheat can have different working paradigmas. Client/Server, Server-only, Client-only or hybrid (some of the listed + additional, like Punkbuster and FairPlay).
                      Client/Server. Like Punkbuster I described above. Which is REALLY invasive and don't like emulation as a rule at all.

Server-based does not run anything in your PC but runs in server, evaluating your performance - when it falls outside acceptable norms: you'll get hammered (I've seen my gunner in attack helicopter getting kicked for 'cheating' because he wiped like 20 enemies in a single burst of autocannon and that exceeded configured kills/second threshold for server-based anticheat). It was actually BF:BC2 where due to BC2 being abandonware Punkbuster hack updates no longer arrived and server admin tried to implement some additional custom script on the server in order to get rampant botting under control. Elite Dangerous, if it even has anticheat, using central control by devstudio would be most reasonable. A la, "who is single-jumping vast distances, have abnormal ship configurations" etc. Better and reliable way to detect cheaters than trying to keep track of endless 'trainers'.

Client-only anticheat runs only in your PC. These are pretty "fuckable" as much as I understand the topic.

I've been playing games which are mostly either shooters or milsims. There client/server approach is the norm, thus my opinions are also colored by this. Generally Punkbuster, BattlEye or FairPlay. Ok, VAC too.
                      Last edited by aht0; 23 September 2019, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X