Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homura Is A Windows Game Launcher For FreeBSD - Supports Steam, Origin, UPlay + More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homura Is A Windows Game Launcher For FreeBSD - Supports Steam, Origin, UPlay + More

Phoronix: Homura Is A Windows Game Launcher For FreeBSD - Supports Steam, Origin, UPlay + More

While FreeBSD doesn't see much in the way of game ports besides compatibility with open-source games/engines, FreeBSD's Linux binary compatibility layer for years has allowed running Linux games on FreeBSD and there is also Wine support for FreeBSD to handle Windows software. Thanks to those efforts, it's possible to make a FreeBSD gaming box...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You wrote UPlayer... Did you mean Uplay?

One interesting thing is that creator of this "Homura" launcher has "Multiple VAC bans on record" in his Steam account... Is it possible that he got those bans while gaming on BSD? Is it safe to do gaming on BSD?
    Last edited by adomas; 22 September 2019, 11:11 AM.

Comment

My second "Wow, TYVM" of the day

You just gotta love easier access to more games on more open source platforms.

Great day for news

• Only 32-Bit Games and Applications working currently.
      • No vulkan support on amd64 with 32bit.
      • Kwin is bad for gaming on freebsd in some situations
      Bloody hell Two out of three apply to me

Comment

micheal

Unapproved post

Comment

So FreeBSD is behind in gaming
          But what about virtualization?

Comment

I had a look at that video and thought this UI is still crap on many fronts.

For example: Why did the author use radio buttons instead of normal buttons to navigate in the menus? This forces every user to do double clicks to reach a single action.

The usage patterns also do appeal to users knowing exactly what to do. If this is simplification, there is still a lot of work to do, before anything can be considered simple.

Comment

Sry @Hibbelharry Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge for other programming languages to create a shiny windows application and this is the best that zenity has to offer. Better than the bash dialog what i have used before.

Comment

Being no zenity user I did a short search. This might answer your radio button case:
                I would like to create a zenity dialog window with two buttons as only user input. The following creates a window with two buttons but with a space for a text entry zenity --entry --title="" --te...

See extra button parameters.

You might also put some thought into which functionalities might be the most used ones and need to be put in direct reach, and which functions are needed fewer times. I would expect that after a first time installation 99% percent of users would like to launch things, So I would the launch functionality as initial dialog. I would rather put install/uninstall/magic functions in a deeper navigation levels, keeping those out of sight when not beeing needed.

Comment

Allow me to preface this by saying I am a devout Linux user, Manjaro being my current distro of choice and I really like GhostBSD and what PC-BSD used to be. Having said this, if you want the best gaming experience on a PC you have to go with Windows. I would never bother going through all these hoops to play any non-native Linux/BSd game, if you need to use WINE, then just use Windows.

Same goes for any serious video editing, I have been editing video as a hobby for decades and used to work with video on a semi-pro basis for a while and I have come to realize that if you want top notch video editing, then you're buying a Mac with all the high end add-in cards that are available for it and maybe adding a PC into the mix for some secondary work.

The sad truth is that Linux and BSD lacks the market share to make it an attractive target for closed source proprietary software vendors to target and more importantly, since Linux and BSD users are used to free software they are not as likely to purchase software from vendors as Windows and OSX users, further dis-incentivizing game vendors from releasing Linux and BSD ports.

Of course, I would much rather game on a console, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander88207 View Post
                    Sry @Hibbelharry Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge for other programming languages to create a shiny windows application and this is the best that zenity has to offer. Better than the bash dialog what i have used before.
                    FreePascal? Fpc compiler and Lazarus IDE are both in the FreeBSD ports, it's not too hard to get going, even with GUIs. Thanks for the effort.

Comment

Working...
                    X