Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 12 & DragonFlyBSD 5.6 Running Well On The AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + MSI X570 GODLIKE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 12 & DragonFlyBSD 5.6 Running Well On The AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + MSI X570 GODLIKE

Phoronix: FreeBSD 12 & DragonFlyBSD 5.6 Running Well On The AMD Ryzen 7 3700X + MSI X570 GODLIKE

For those wondering how well FreeBSD and DragonFlyBSD are handling AMD's new Ryzen 3000 series desktop processors, here are some benchmarks on a Ryzen 7 3700X with MSI MEG X570 GODLIKE where both of these popular BSD operating systems were working out-of-the-box. For some fun mid-week benchmarking, here are those results of FreeBSD 12.0 and DragonFlyBSD 5.6.2 up against openSUSE Tumbleweed and Ubuntu 19.04.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=28261

Godlike. Seriously, can somebody drop those marketing phrases? It sounds annoying.

It just doesn't feel I can use this "Godlike" motherboard for a server.
    Servers aren't godlike, they're just servers.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Godlike. Seriously, can somebody drop those marketing phrases? It sounds annoying.

Just read it in the Unreal Tournament announcer voice and it'll sound better Seriously though, this isn't a server motherboard anyway. It's marketed for gamers and power user desktop systems.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post
        Seriously though, this isn't a server motherboard anyway. It's marketed for gamers and power user desktop systems.
        I know, but believe it or not I am still using this 10-year-old desktop for my server. And it's been running like that for 4 years (motherboard failed once but have replaced it).

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

Just read it in the Unreal Tournament announcer voice and it'll sound better Seriously though, this isn't a server motherboard anyway. It's marketed for gamers and power user desktop systems.
          even though ...i would prefer the name M-M-M-MMMONSTERKILL

Comment

It's fitting for the intended audience: manchildren who play games all day and find those names "cool" (or whatever slang for "cool" is en vogue today).

Comment

I know, but believe it or not I am still using this 10-year-old desktop for my server. And it's been running like that for 4 years (motherboard failed once but have replaced it).
              A lot of people use regular motherboards for smaller servers. They're cheap and you can still get a few years out of them. I prefer getting a supermicro + xeon box when i can but as of late the real money is on ryzen. There aren't a lot of single socket epyc boards and they're all in very large form factors. If you want to run ryzen in a server, it's likely going to be on a consumer motherboard. I wouldn't do this in a large business environment, but hosting my BSD project it's just fine. I've got two Asus B350 tuf boards with a ryzen 2200g and a ryzen 7 1700 in those with 32GB of RAM and one is using nvme. My third box is my old webserver which turned into a vmware esxi box for package builds on a i7 7700 with 32GB of ram. That board has always been kind of a pain with the USB and NIC not working out of the box with MidnightBSD when I bought it. At this point, it's well supported.

Since my desktop is a rzyen, it's been convenient to use the same in my servers. I've been able to upgrade my desktop once already to a 7 2700 and put the 1700 in my webserver. Socket compatibility is handy. I likely can do it one more time once the price of the 3800X comes down to MSRP.

Comment

Originally posted by laffer1 View Post

A lot of people use regular motherboards for smaller servers. They're cheap and you can still get a few years out of them.
                The godlike motherboard is not cheap. It goes for $699.

Comment

Working...
                X