GhostBSD 19.09 Provides A Good BSD Desktop Built Off TrueOS & FreeBSD 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostBSD 19.09 Provides A Good BSD Desktop Built Off TrueOS & FreeBSD 12

Phoronix: GhostBSD 19.09 Provides A Good BSD Desktop Built Off TrueOS & FreeBSD 12

TrueOS changing direction was a disappointment back in 2018 with having done away with their desktop version that had been around for years since formerly being known as PC-BSD. But at least there are a few viable alternatives that continue advancing for a nice out-of-the-box BSD desktop experience like GhostBSD and MidnightBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool beans. Time before last I used it I still had my R7 260x and it ran great. IIRC it was 17 or 18 point something. "Very nice implementation of the Mate desktop" was the biggest takeaway I had from my short time using it.

Tried it again last month with my RX 580 and it was a GUI disaster* due to AMDGPU being partially implemented and it using the Radeon driver with my 580. I'll have to try it again sometime in the next week and see if those AMDGPU xconfig improvements help me...possibly tonight since I don't have a Tuesday night show that I watch.

*Also tried Project Trident the same day with the same results...don't take too much stock into that GUI disaster comment since they both forced me into using the wrong driver with an unsupported GPU

Comment

I've used it for server for shits and giggles. Removing mate/xorg is just one command away.

Comment

Working...
      X