Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Is Now In Better Shape On NetBSD Thanks To GSoC 2019

Phoronix: Wine Is Now In Better Shape On NetBSD Thanks To GSoC 2019

In addition to NetBSD seeing better DRM ioctl support for its Linux compatibility layer (as part of an effort towards possible Steam support) thanks to Google Summer of Code 2019, there were also Wine improvements as a result of this Google programming initiative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fantastic news for the 23 people that run NetBSD.

Comment

Finally I can run all my games on my router or other IOT devices

Comment

A fine job. Perhaps this student's next project should be to improve OpenBSD's Wine support, which is completely broken last I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
          A fine job. Perhaps this student's next project should be to improve OpenBSD's Wine support, which is completely broken last I heard.
          Agreed. OpenBSD seems to be a great OS and lack of virtualbox support and wine support is keeping me from using it on some of my devices. Wine used to work on OpenBSD but has since stopped working. Fortunately, wine and virtualbox work just fine on FreeBSD which I recently migrated to over Manjaro on my main workstation for stability reasons. Virtualbox seems to be a lost cause on OpenBSD since the OS doesn't support loadable kernel modules, but I think wine support is at least doable.

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
            Fantastic news for the 23 people that run NetBSD.
            Evidenty likes to honor screename.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Agreed. OpenBSD seems to be a great OS and lack of virtualbox support and wine support is keeping me from using it on some of my devices. Wine used to work on OpenBSD but has since stopped working. Fortunately, wine and virtualbox work just fine on FreeBSD which I recently migrated to over Manjaro on my main workstation for stability reasons. Virtualbox seems to be a lost cause on OpenBSD since the OS doesn't support loadable kernel modules, but I think wine support is at least doable.
              OpenBSD tends to remove all functionality they consider a security risk. Next they may be planning to remove the console.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                The OpenBSD community doesn't like compatibility layers because they tend to rot. They removed the linux compatibility semi recently (version 6.0) for this reason.

Wine also needs weird stuff to work like page 0 mapping which is a security risk. Frankly the Linux kernel only allows it to support Wine. Again, the target market for OpenBSD users aren't the sort to need to run Windows software**. They can also just run a cheap Windows laptop if they need to do that.

I predicted this Linux compat removal in my blog post here: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/c...on_openbsd_5_5
                At the time I needed it for Perforce but luckily they open-sourced the CLI client around the same time

** Excluding John Carmack and his history of using Visual Studio and still developing awesome software for all platforms including Windows of course: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...SD-Programming
                Last edited by kpedersen; 01 September 2019, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X