FreeBSD's Executive Director Calls For Linux + BSD Devs To Work Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    you mean, freebsd has access to apple kernel and userland code?
    Have you considered all the developers Apple has hired the years? As for Apples kernel it isn’t even strictly BSD and no I wouldn’t expect them to release user land code that was never part of BSD.

However Apple is responsible for the success of LLVM/CLang, hired the developer of the printing subsystem we all use. It is unfortunate that so many stick their heads in the sand and deny how much of an influence Apple has had on open source. LLVM has turned into a massive project impacting many platforms and frankly has done more to move open source coward than any thing in recent memory.

By the way I’m not saying Apple is perfect, all I’m doing is providing some balance to the ignorance in this thread.

Comment

Wizard
      US nuclear submarines run on Linux, so I guess it's more than ready and tested to run on cars.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        Where did did you get this idea that brakes must be able to stop the engine. If this is true there are plenty of examples where this isn’t true. The fact is brakes are only effective for a limited time, anybody every driving down a steep mountain road can attest.

Going down a steep mountain is a whole different animal since what you do there is use the brakes intermittently for a very very long time, just getting to a full stop should normally not be a problem; caveat however is that since you now also have to fight gravity the whole "brakes overpower the engine" kinda falls out the window.

That this is part of regulation was claimed by auto engineers (or rather people claiming to be auto engineers) 10 years ago when the whole Lexus-scandal happened. Not wanting to read thousands of regulatory papers in various legislations I cannot provide any direct proof of this, however the Car And Driver magazine performed actual tests of this in 2009: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-acceleration/ where they even managed to get a 540hp Roush Stage 3 Mustang from 100mph (160km/h) to full stop (in 903 feet [275m]) with a full throttle.

Comment

Have you considered all the developers Apple has hired the years?
          apparently they didn't code much
          However Apple is responsible for the success of LLVM/CLang
          no, it isn't. google is. apple uses private fork
          , hired the developer of the printing subsystem we all use.
          developer was developing it before apple. and now apple is crippling it on linux
          Last edited by pal666; 25 August 2019, 07:00 PM.

Comment

I have to laugh at this thread. Lot's of hatred from linux fanbois and the gpl cohort. Lots of idiots like pal666 who has a pathological hatred of anything other than linux (which btw is a kernel not an OS you dolt). I'm sure it's a robot that spews out putrid vitriole with the words 'linux', 'gpl', 'freebsd' etc interspersed. Hilarious.

What most of the morons that infest here seem to fail to realize is a license is just that. It's the developer's source code and they're free to license how they want. You drooling Gpl-fanbois need to grasp the concept. It's unfortunate that most of you speaking about licensing of code don't have a clue, not ONE. Even less of you have written any code and released it under any license.

If you want to use gpl, then good luck to you. I'm all for communism, though, so long as it stays in China.
            If you want to use bsd-like license in YOUR code then you agree with total freedom unlike the specious gpl junk. You also don't want any legal hassles trying to enforce your so-called rights. Even the gpl had to change because companies were tivo-ing them. LOL The license is so long it looks like a MS EULA. You need a fleet of lawyers to interpret it and a few milion $ to enforce it. How many of you fanbois have that?

As to Linux's popularity vs Freebsd's, the only ones who seem to give a damn and get all hot and sweaty about it are the cellar-dwelling nonces (to use a quaint british term) endlessly spewing their 'knowledge' on here. We get it, this phoronix.com website should be renamed linuxfanboisRus.com and only deal with linux/gnu/systemd ecosystem. I'm sure the wet dreams will follow. We get it, you come here because it's your echo chamber. LOL. Even reddit pours scorn on this site; yes reddit... LOL. (I await predictable responses.)

Contrary to what Goodkin's little thought-bubble portrays, Freebsd is very happy where it is. Historically, it's never chased the desktop, which is owned by Microsoft & Apple anyway. If she wants to chase Linux/freebsd developer integration/cooperation then she should probably ask core and all/any of the committers first. She should probably stick to raising funds for the foundation and getting armv8 into Tier 1.

I use Freebsd, have done since inception, don't care which is more popular amongst wanna-be nerds, don't need a GUI, don't use gpl-viral licensing in code, don't see Freebsd co-operating (whatever that really means) with linux kernel bloatware and pity the zealots that endlessly post here; get a life.

Comment

for random hardware configuration freebsd doesn't have drivers, linux has drivers. that way freebsd can't compete with linux and never was able to and never will. linux has software, freebsd doesn't have. just look at their discussion of how git is "not designed to support their huge repo" - linux kernel-only git repo has same size as all of freebsd kernel+userspace git repo and kernel's history starts from 2005 when freebsd from 1993
              Insanity runs deep in you doesn't it. Freebsd has a read-only github presence. the current version system works, why should they change it? When did anyone from core ever say what you quoted? I don't even know why i asked that question.

once you use a versioning system get back to me with an informed opinion, not the mindless blatherings of a zealot. Kim jong un is looking for lackeys you know.
              Last edited by Bsdisbetter; 25 August 2019, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bsdisbetter View Post
                Freebsd has a read-only github presence. the current version system works, why should they change it?
                i wasn't arguing whether they should change it in the comment you are replying to. i was mentioning part of their discussion of git's merits. but if you think current freebsd works, why should they develop it? but don't get me wrong, all power to them. let them continue at glacial development speed with svn and 400 committers, i don't care
                When did anyone from core ever say what you quoted?
                moron, the real point is not what they said(that's just how i got this info), it is their repo size. and it can be measured objectively, without authority from core
                I don't even know why i asked that question.
                no surprises here
                Last edited by pal666; 25 August 2019, 09:11 PM.

Comment

What most of the morons that infest here seem to fail to realize is a license is just that. It's the developer's source code and they're free to license how they want.
                  exactly. and they are also free to contribute to projects with license they want. and we all can see how many people are contributing to freebsd. but average freebsd moron fails to realize that
                  If you want to use gpl, then good luck to you. I'm all for communism, though, so long as it stays in China.
                  you are implying freebsd is only used in china (not that anybody expects reasonable messages from you)
                  Last edited by pal666; 25 August 2019, 09:19 PM.

Comment

we are not using openssh. we are using its linux fork because upstream openssh does not support linux.
                    You obviously don't know how BSD (or open-source) licensing works. If you use a fork, you still have to credit the upstream. You are still "using" the upstream.

And besides; the OpenSSH portable you are referring to is still part of the OpenBSD/OpenSSH umbrella (https://www.openssh.com/portable.html) and still developed by @openbsd and openssh developers.
                    Remember; OpenBSD developers are not like Linux developers. OpenBSD developers care about good quality software, lifespan and portability XD.

what planet you are from? on earth the most used os is linux
                    Linux isnt an OS. Yes it is the most used kernel (aka used in shite like Android) but Windows is *the* most used OS.

For PC gaming and entertainment (i.e the general theme of this forum); Microsoft's cruddy (but highly marketed) kernel dominates both Linux and *BSD put together.

That said... for gaming in general; possibly FreeBSD used in the PS3 and PS4 is actually beating Linux in numbers too.
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 26 August 2019, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      Linux isnt an OS. Yes it is the most used kernel (aka used in shite like Android) but Windows is *the* most used OS..
                      A If Linux is a OS is debatable but if it is one it would be another word for GNU/Linux and Android is not included in that OS.

But B more important Android is a OS and it has a bigger market share than Windows:
                      This graph shows the market share of operating systems worldwide based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

Btw, what is the problem with working together with Freebsd, that it's not possible in a way that bsd can profit much because the lisense disallows it. No matter how angry people from both sides are.

If a bsd developer sends patches to a gpl project they will include it in their gpl stuff and done, that software can't be used in bsd then at least not directly in the distribution / cd. or on systems that are nonfree and closed.

From a linux perspective the work together is perfect you release your bsd code and whatever a "linux developer" or a gpl developer wants to take he can take but it's a one way street and that is not because people are dicks but because the license is defined that way.

If you believe in a copyleft lisense you can't release your work in a copyleft version and in a non-copyleft version because then you make your decision to release it copyleft obsolete.

Therefor there is very very little room to work together.
                      Last edited by blackiwid; 26 August 2019, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X