FreeBSD's Executive Director Calls For Linux + BSD Devs To Work Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD's Executive Director Calls For Linux + BSD Devs To Work Together

Phoronix: FreeBSD's Executive Director Calls For Linux + BSD Devs To Work Together

While called the Open-Source Summit, the event is primarily about Linux as after all it's hosted by the Linux Foundation. But at this week's Open-Source Summit in San Diego, Deb Goodkin as the executive director of the FreeBSD Foundation presented. Deb's talk was of course on FreeBSD but also why FreeBSD and Linux developers should work together...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's impossible to retain a permissive license when you use GNU GPL. FreeBSD and the GNU operating system are incompatible, and the only way to collaboration is to move FreeBSD to GNU GPL.

Comment

many companies are often using both Linux and FreeBSD
      Any examples? I know some large companies were or are using *BSDs, but I've been in the IT sector for 20 years now and none of my customers ever used FreeBSD. It's always Linux and Windows.

Comment

Flicking through the slides, I didn't find much in terms of cross pollination between FreeBSD and Linux. It looks mostly like standard FreeBSD presentation boilerplate. Do developers from BSDs themselves regularly work together?
        Last edited by dreich; 24 August 2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I can think of Sony Interactive Entertainment using FreeBSD for the PS4 and Linux for their Gaikai streaming video servers but that's about it. I suppose my last company also used OPNsense firewalls in front of their Linux servers but it's not like we did much beyond the web UI.
          Last edited by Chewi; 24 August 2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

But then you cant *hug* anymore

Comment

There's no point in collaborating with FreeBSD. Everything interesting it has comes from Sun.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                It's impossible to retain a permissive license when you use GNU GPL. FreeBSD and the GNU operating system are incompatible, and the only way to collaboration is to move FreeBSD to GNU GPL.
                The FSF disagrees with you:

Later a third BSD license variant was introduced, with only the first two of the original BSD license's four clauses. We call it the “FreeBSD license.” It is a lax, noncopyleft free license, compatible with the GNU GPL, much like the modified BSD license.

Comment

There is something to be said for their internet protocol stack, but as was said before, FreeBSD's 'rape my ass like Apple' license is a dead end.

How is the GPL supposed to work with code/developers that can set their house on fire at any moment? I think, bouncing ideas off each other is fine- but code swapping is not until Linux either decides to commit suicide or FreeBSD switches to a GPL fork.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                    There's no point in collaborating with FreeBSD. Everything interesting it has comes from Sun.
                    pf, capsiculum and netmap are interesting.

Comment

Working...
                    X