Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DragonFlyBSD Replacing Their 48-Core Opteron Infrastructure With Ryzen 9 3900X CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope nobody has forgotten the Eric S Raymond's grand plan with reposurgeon and gcc. He'd probably need a 100 machine cluster of Ryzens or EPYCs and few petabytes of RAM to convert the gcc repos to git.

Comment

But will it boot?

Comment

Also... I am happy to "dispose" of the old hardware

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
          I think Matt is refering to the ASRock Rack X470D4U / X470D4U2-2T mobos?

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/p...Specifications
          Why a VGA and parallel port over HDMI though; makes it look like a 16 year old product.

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          I hope nobody has forgotten the Eric S Raymond's grand plan with reposurgeon and gcc. He'd probably need a 100 machine cluster of Ryzens or EPYCs and few petabytes of RAM to convert the gcc repos to git.
          That was fixed with bash;
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
            Why a VGA and parallel port over HDMI though; makes it look like a 16 year old product.
            This is just a plain 2D graphics port for nothing more than maintenance. If you want to use this mobo in a desktop/workstation you will have to buy a discrete graphics card anyway. And btw don't forget a sound card ...

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              A Threadripper 2990wx would rip the 3900X and the upcoming 3950X apart.
              Actually. You might be surprised. The generational difference is huge. Zen 2 Threadripper may do it, but Zen[+] Threadripper is not much faster, with twice the threads, than the top of the line Zen 2 Ryzens.

Comment

It's pretty cool that people are beginning to arbitrage on the power usage as well as the raw compute. Makes for some interesting build decisions.

I just set up a Ryzen 2700 and now I have stopped using my 12c/24t Xeon box. Power consumption is down, BTU (heat) release is way, way down as well.

That translates into $ saved in forced air cooling on top of the kWh saved.

Comment

I dont inow but this is one is one of those frustrating blurbs you see on the web that you just want scream at. WHICH BOARD are you talking about.? It’s a little detail that magpies for far less frustration on the part of the reader.

Originally posted by George99 View Post
                  I think Matt is refering to the ASRock Rack X470D4U / X470D4U2-2T mobos?

Comment

When the power savings and performance increases are this significant it is hard it is hard to resist upgrades. The power savings may actually pay for the upgrade.

However i I do wonder about the long term potential for these 7nm chips. That is will the processors last as long. Further what happens if the processor starts making errors that don’t halt the machine. In other words will these processors fail faster.

Then again it might not make a difference the power savings alone likelywill pay for ill pay for more frequent updates.

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                    It's pretty cool that people are beginning to arbitrage on the power usage as well as the raw compute. Makes for some interesting build decisions.

I just set up a Ryzen 2700 and now I have stopped using my 12c/24t Xeon box. Power consumption is down, BTU (heat) release is way, way down as well.

That translates into $ saved in forced air cooling on top of the kWh saved.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Same site has a couple linux compilation tests here: https://techgage.com/article/amd-ryz...ance-in-linux/

It gives the 2990wx a 43% advantage compiling the linux kernel, but the 3900x actually leads by 6% when compiling ImageMagick. I'm guessing it's not able to take advantage of all the cores in that case.
                      The Linux kernel’s build system is highly parallel. I have not looked at imagemagick to check, but my experience is that autotools can make single threaded performance important due to amadyl’s law. You could watch autotools run for a minute only to see compilation finish seconds later on a 64 core system. I have seen it in the past, although the numbers that I am giving are off the top of my head and not anything that I noted at the time.

Comment

Working...
                      X