No announcement yet.

Netflix Uncovers TCP Bugs Within The Linux & FreeBSD Kernels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have to say that these days there is a minimal amount of volunteer work in the Kernel. But otherwise I have to agree Linux is pretty good considering the lack of focus on security.

Originally posted by slayerizer

Really? for something that's free and mostly based on volunteer work, I find everything to be really amazing! The proposed fix had to be tested and reviewed.

Comment

Really? for something that's free and mostly based on volunteer work, I find everything to be really amazing! The proposed fix had to be tested and reviewed.
      you are the typical fanboy unable to understand the benefit of improvement. The best way to make better something is to highlight the critical issues.

Comment

Till now, I ignore if Linux Oses are able to provide a LAN Service where Clients could share files. A Network system samba independent.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          Till now, I ignore if Linux Oses are able to provide a LAN Service where Clients could share files. A Network system samba independent.
          Not really, to my knowledge. You have NFS, samba, ftp, and that's about it. There are more advanced solutions, like nextcloud, but I don't think that's what you are talking about.

Comment

Linux Os has to improve in security and efficiency.
            I don't think you can have both at the same time. It's always a compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              A few minutes after the announcement my PC was already running 5.1.11. Too bad it's gonna take quite some time before OpenWRT updates their images. They haven't even applied the patches yet
              OpenWrt is running LTS kernels (4.14 and 4.19), Linux git patches fail to apply.

They will just update their LTS kernels whenever the new patches arrive in Linux LTS branches.

Comment

Over 50% of commits to Linux kernel are by (most likely paid) corporate devs. Look at the data bit more closely. Biggest single corporate entity doing it is Intel (all by itself over 10%).
                Last edited by aht0; 18 June 2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

you are the typical fanboy unable to understand the benefit of improvement. The best way to make better something is to highlight the critical issues.
                  The best way to make better something is to actually make it better.

Just sending thoughts and prayers (or stating that it "must improve") is pointless and does incite bad reactions.

Comment

it depends from how you define it.

NFS is more or less the same as samba but windows support sucks (not a Linux issue), ftp is kind of crappy but simple and similar enough to samba to share files for most people and home usecases, and also supported natively by Windows.

Then there are other solutions where you are using peers to sync around files like Syncthing.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

Default FreeBSD is not even affected.
                      In term of default configuration.

What's funny Microsoft doesn't consider such vulnerabilities critical. It took them more than 90 days to fix similar problem:

A Google security expert today revealed that an unpatched issue in the main cryptographic library in Microsoft's operating system can cause a denial-of-service (DoS) condition on Windows 8 servers and above.

Comment

Working...
                      X