Microsoft Begins Rolling Out Windows Subsystem For Linux 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andy22 View Post
    Sure, i understand that doing locks via 9p on ntfs is kinda hard, yet on most lcow or even the WSL2 videos they "promise" working Docker and how cool and easy all "should" be, yet lcow/wsl2 cant run a simple sqlite/wal database of 9p, which is used by a lot of containers. The other problem is that on many containers all "seem" to work fine with lcow-9p, until some obscure i/o error corrupts some files and stuff just stops working. Its a painful learning process if you have no clue how docker mounts actually work on lcow and what works and what doesn't. I think MS is doing a bad job communicating this major issue, which renders lcow/wsl2 useless for many scenarios.
    Problem with Microsoft their promises have to be taken with grains of salt. Lcow they promising working docker not working docker containers. They did deliver that just at lot took working docker equal working containers as well. WSL1 was kind of the same yes it would run some Linux programs but screw up on others. The WSL2 video they promise to fix a stack of 9p issues and give Ext4 partition.

This has always been my problem with Microsoft not worth my time to run it native for a lot of development. Way less painful to run Linux native and windows vm. Remember WSL2 is one kernel execution shared with all containers. This is not how I work. I have something experimental I will have it in a VM replicating hosting and if it does explode I have what was the issue. I really do wonder if the windows explorer accessing 9p to access ext4 partition is going to screw up test runs at time with WSL2. Not that that a problem for me as I will stick to my normal Linux setup.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
      Way less painful to run Linux native and windows vm. Remember WSL2 is one kernel execution shared with all containers.
      Yeah i would really love to have Kata-Containers for windows, there tech is really impressive in v1.7.

Comment

Working...
      X