Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Begins Rolling Out Windows Subsystem For Linux 2

Phoronix: Microsoft Begins Rolling Out Windows Subsystem For Linux 2

After announcing Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 just over one month ago, Microsoft has begun pushing out WSL2 to its Windows Insider Preview channel...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...L2-Rolling-Out

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    I should have out preliminary tests in the next day or two of WSL2 vs. WSL2 vs. Windows vs. Linux benchmarks.
    I think we have a typo. I guess the first WSL2 there should be WSL1.

Comment

I guess that explains why my windows box randomly got a bsod on lxcore.sys earlier

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        I guess that explains why my windows box randomly got a bsod on lxcore.sys earlier
        It does not; lxcore.sys is WSL1.

Comment

I will test if this finally means i can run docker linux containers properly on Windows 10. They have been working on docker-LCOW for years now and cant get the i/o (9p filesystem) to work correctly. Last time i tested WSL1 the i/o was already more compatible, but really slow, so hopefully WSL2 can solve those issues.

Comment

There is this recurring still not yet answered question: Will it be possible to install a Nvidia GPU driver and run CUDA applications in WSL2? Please be the first to answer that! I am aware of the fact, that the drivers for some Nvidia cards do not allow running in a virtual system, but at least for the known supported ones (like Tesla drivers with K80, V100, etc.) it would be good to know. Thanks!

Comment

WSL2 is "just" a VM. Why should i use WSL2 and not any other VM Solution to Run Docker Containers?

Comment

Originally posted by swittmer View Post
                There is this recurring still not yet answered question: Will it be possible to install a Nvidia GPU driver and run CUDA applications in WSL2? Please be the first to answer that! I am aware of the fact, that the drivers for some Nvidia cards do not allow running in a virtual system, but at least for the known supported ones (like Tesla drivers with K80, V100, etc.) it would be good to know. Thanks!
                No, it's just a (crappy) VM.

Comment

So which one will be faster?
                  https://i.imgur.com/2XqnXoFl.png

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

No, it's just a (crappy) VM.
                    I can actually run a Linux VM on Windows Hyper-V and use the GPU with CUDA in the VM via DDA. So your response should have been: "Yes, it's just a (crappy) VM". Right?

Comment

Working...
                    X