FreeBSD Had A Very Busy Q1-2019 As It Approaches Its 26th Birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD Had A Very Busy Q1-2019 As It Approaches Its 26th Birthday

Phoronix: FreeBSD Had A Very Busy Q1-2019 As It Approaches Its 26th Birthday

FreeBSD had a very busy first quarter with a status report out today providing a look at to all of the ongoing development activities for this leading BSD platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FreeBSD when can I put Linux Steam and Chrome in a jail so it can't go after my ssh keys?
    (I know ways, make it easy and keep up the great work)

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Linuxulator testing/daignostic improvements,

Comment

I'll give FreeBSD a shot again when:

* FreeBSD Nvidia driver exposes Vulkan support
        * DXVK support with FreeBSD Wine
        * 64-bit Windows app support in FreeBSD Wine

Or perhaps all these are ready to go now?
        Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 04 June 2019, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

It is a bit odd to ask developers this way about features, but anyway:

I don't have a Nvidia, so I don't know
          Dvk.. seems to work? I play vulcan games no probs. You need proper confirmation
          64 bit wine is available, but x86 and x64 wine have different binaries

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

Nvidia has commercial drivers for FreeBSD. The current state of those I don't know but you'd have to ask Nvidia. (they keep them up to date tho)

Wine compiles fine on FreeBSD you can use the git version, I would bet it would build anything that can be built on Linux. Looking at the make config for wine-devel in ports it has Vulkan, VKD3D and Staging patch options.. Those extra patches are disabled in the pre-configured pkg binary so you'll want to use the version from ports. Think like Gentoo's portage.. portage was inspired from ports (pkg is more like Debian's Apt) You aren't supposed to mix the two.. but if you build wine from ports and lock it in pkg so it dosen't overwrite it.. pry work out just fine.

FreeBSD is generally a server OS.. I use FreeBSD as a desktop but.. GhostBSD maybe more your speed as it's made to be a desktop and requires less tweaking to get stuff right.
            Last edited by k1e0x; 05 June 2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X