Darling Still Has A Goal Of Running macOS Apps On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Thanks to Metal, I'm sure we're going to get even farther away from such a thing.
    Not necessarily, as there are already MoltenVK for translating Vulkan to Metal. It should be quite possible to create a Metal to Vulkan wrapper in the future to support Metal applications.

Comment

IMHO, I need to see a list with at least 10 "must have" MacOS apps that are just so much much better than anything Linux has and aren't from Microsoft.... With that said, the project will likely be fun and challenging. But I'll probably yawn on releases.

Comment

waist of time but ok, the only app is itunes but without usb support who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
          IMHO, I need to see a list with at least 10 "must have" MacOS apps that are just so much much better than anything Linux has and aren't from Microsoft.... With that said, the project will likely be fun and challenging. But I'll probably yawn on releases.
          Here is one list of things that have no equivalent on Linux.

Adobe Cloud. (Even though this constitutes more than 10 apps alone, I will count it as one.)
          Allegorithmic Substance Designer/Painter/Alchemist
          Xcode
          3d Coat
          Zbrush
          Daz3d (Makehuman is in no way a replacement for this.)
          Marvelous Designer
          Quixel Suite/Mix
          Terragen/World Machine
          Visual Studio (for Mac)
          Vue and Plantfactory/SpeedTree
          QuartzCode
          Scrivener
          Clarrsse
          iExplorer

Now, this doesn't mentiion Mac/iPhone only games (since iphone apps are coming to Mac) or things that are significantly better than on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver+ View Post
            My personal favorite would be iTunes support. iTunes (for iPhone backups) is one of the few reasons i keep a Windows partition.
            In the past, Apple did have download page for iTunes on Mac. But if you want the latest version, you are probably going to need to access to a MacOS install.

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post
            They seem to be suffering from a lack of developers, I hope any developer reading this considers helping out. I would if I had any clue about C / C++ / Swift and the like :P.
            Once my spring semester is over, I plan to reimplement some of the simple API for Objective-C. I have experience with C++, Python, and Java, but I am currently trying to learn Objective-C on the spot. But I do want to ask a few questions to the Darling team before I start to contribute.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you have experience with programming? If not, I found Python the easiest to learn. While I have not messed around with Swift, I heard that it is supposed to be similar to python. If you own an iPad, there is a cool app called Swift Playground.
            Swift Playgrounds is a revolutionary app for iPad and Mac that helps you learn and explore coding in Swift, the same powerful language used to create world-class apps for the App Store.

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
            I think Apple would crack down on this pretty hard, considering that they don't even allow running macOS VMs on non-Apple hardware.
            It is very possible to run MacOS on a VM, by either using QEMU or VMware. They tried once to break the Hackintosh, but it eventually got patched. If this is Apple's effort in blocking VM usage, it's a really poor attempt.

With that being said, I hope the Darling team is careful with who they invite into their project. Especially for people who have agreed to Apple's EULA.

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post
            Even for the software that also has Windows versions that run on wine, through darling they may run better due to an easier translation between OS calls.
            People say that, but I wonder if that actually would be the case. There might be some devil in the details.

Comment

The main reason to run osx is ease of use. This will be anything but easy to use. There will be no hardware integration. So at best it'll be some emulated apps that clash with gnome/kde/whatever. You won't run a full OSX desktop environment on Linux and you'd be nuts for trying to. Not to mention that all the System Preferences.app tools for osx would need to be rewritten to talk to Linux hardware. The only usecase for Darling is to run a few Mac Apps on Linux that you can't get on Linux. Remember GNUstep has been trying to make a mac-like desktop for 20+ years now. They haven't even got a web browser working (hell it took 15 years to get tabbed terminals in GNUstep and OSX had had them for a decade), and there's no tools for controlling RandR/Pulseaudio/Network-Manager. There is no way this is going to lead to a mac-like experience on Linux anytime soon. If you want a mac-like experience buy a mac or build a hackintosh. Don't expect Darling to be a desktop environment/Aqua experience. At best it'll throw mac apps into a window and they won't integrate with the rest of your desktop.
              Last edited by DMJC; 03 May 2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
                Don't expect Darling to be a desktop environment/Aqua experience. At best it'll throw mac apps into a window and they won't integrate with the rest of your desktop.
                I don't think anyone is expecting Darling to provide the aqua experience, just like how people don't expect Wine to provide the Window's Aero experience. You have to keep in mind that Darling is more like a Wine project rather than a ReactOS project.

So at best it'll be some emulated apps that clash with gnome/kde/whatever.
                It is the same issue that Wine has to deal with.

Comment

Remember GNUstep has been trying to make a mac-like desktop for 20+ years now.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNUstep vs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXTSTEP
                  This is your problem. GNUstep is not about a OSX desktop. GNUstep looks exactly how it meant to look as a NeXTSTEP clone.

They haven't even got a web browser working (hell it took 15 years to get tabbed terminals in GNUstep and OSX had had them for a decade), and there's no tools for controlling RandR/Pulseaudio/Network-Manager.
                  Tabbed terminals was not need as a GNUstep feature when you had other terminals providing that feature and it not a NeXTSTEP feature.

There is no way this is going to lead to a mac-like experience on Linux anytime soon.
                  When GNUstep wrong target OS its never going to OS X experience is a very good copy of a NeXTSTEP experience as it was designed to be.

Items like above forked off of GNUstep could have but they never got the developer support and was attempting for a more OS X look.

If you want a mac-like experience buy a mac or build a hackintosh.
                  People are starting todo these inside KVM on Linux.

Don't expect Darling to be a desktop environment/Aqua experience. At best it'll throw mac apps into a window and they won't integrate with the rest of your desktop.

Correct on that applications running under Darling will not give Aqua experience. Incorrect on will not integrate with the rest of the desktop. Darling applications will look fairly close to native Linux applications. So fairly much nothing like your OS X application appearance so they in fact integrate well only way this could change is if something unity or Étoilé was doing well being a windows manager/wayland compositor providing a OS X like experience.

Really the thing I don't get is with how often people built hackintosh while the old Mol, Étoilé and current Darling has so low of developer support.

People build hackintosh to get access to faster hardware than Apple provides. Of course Mol and Darling can give that.

Yes I am sick Apple users pointing at GNUstep and saying this example of why OS X like look cannot be on Linux when that is not the project objective. Reason why OS X look and feel is not on Linux is simply lack of developers with funding to make it happen. Having a OS X look and feel is not linked to running OS X applications.

Comment

The OS X look is very ugly. I can't understand how people can like it. They must pay me to use it and I'm not even shure if I'll agree. Plasma ftw!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      So.... do you not know why Macs exist?
                      From what I've seen, they serve no purpose besides letting people show off how much money they make.

Comment

Working...
                      X