Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Darling Still Has A Goal Of Running macOS Apps On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Darling Still Has A Goal Of Running macOS Apps On Linux

    Phoronix: Darling Still Has A Goal Of Running macOS Apps On Linux

    Darling is the open-source project we first covered back in 2012 that aimed to be able to run macOS software (binaries) on Linux. It's what Wine is to running Windows programs on Linux but rather to be able to handle Apple/Mac software. While we haven't heard much from the project recently, they still are pursuing their goal...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...macOS-On-Linux

  • #2
    Its a long way off but im interested in one day running Photoshop mac version on Linux and if it could run more stable and smoother than WINE.

    Then there are other profesdional tools many will be interested in im sure.

    IMO the biggest design benefit I wish WINE would copy from Darling is their OverlayFS to minimize duplicate files

    Comment


    • #3
      My personal favorite would be iTunes support. iTunes (for iPhone backups) is one of the few reasons i keep a Windows partition.

      Comment


      • #4
        This could be huge, if it could do the same to users who need that one app that is only on MAC as Proton does to people who want to game. But we are a very long way from here, especially with video acceleration.

        Comment


        • #5
          This is probably my favourite project out there - I'm checking their Git for updates weekly. Progress is indeed slow, but it's always fun to read about new additions and solved bugs. I know it's a long way off, but if this project will one day be able to handle GUI applications it can mean a LOT for the Linux community. They seem to be suffering from a lack of developers, I hope any developer reading this considers helping out. I would if I had any clue about C / C++ / Swift and the like :P.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            Its a long way off but im interested in one day running Photoshop mac version on Linux and if it could run more stable and smoother than WINE.

            Then there are other profesdional tools many will be interested in im sure.

            IMO the biggest design benefit I wish WINE would copy from Darling is their OverlayFS to minimize duplicate files
            While Photoshop would be nice, don't expext it to be easy. It was just about single handidly the reason HFS+ case sensitive FS didn't take off. Why? Because Adobe products just wouldn't install, let alone run when on such a file system. (Of course, by the time Darling is down, EXT4 folder level case insensitivity should have plenty of testing and time to mature.

            Comment


            • #7
              I can't find good reasons for this project to exist. What would people use it for? Adobe's shitty software and sketch? Would it be able to allow people to do iOS development (Xcode, the iOS simulator) without the need for a mac? I think Apple would crack down on this pretty hard, considering that they don't even allow running macOS VMs on non-Apple hardware.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                I can't find good reasons for this project to exist. What would people use it for? Adobe's shitty software and sketch? Would it be able to allow people to do iOS development (Xcode, the iOS simulator) without the need for a mac? I think Apple would crack down on this pretty hard, considering that they don't even allow running macOS VMs on non-Apple hardware.
                Easier OSX/iOS development without a Mac, access to lots of Mac-only and Windows/Mac-only software (even some games!).
                Even for the software that also has Windows versions that run on wine, through darling they may run better due to an easier translation between OS calls.
                Maybe even some old games that only support D3D on Windows but use OpenGl on Mac.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Interesting project. I wish it could run Wine for macOS, then maybe Wine can support running WSL and you can sort of mount -o bind from WSL to native underlying Linux to gain some performance back...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JacekJagosz View Post
                    This could be huge, if it could do the same to users who need that one app that is only on MAC as Proton does to people who want to game. But we are a very long way from here, especially with video acceleration.
                    Thanks to Metal, I'm sure we're going to get even farther away from such a thing.

                    Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                    I can't find good reasons for this project to exist. What would people use it for? Adobe's shitty software and sketch? Would it be able to allow people to do iOS development (Xcode, the iOS simulator) without the need for a mac? I think Apple would crack down on this pretty hard, considering that they don't even allow running macOS VMs on non-Apple hardware.
                    So.... do you not know why Macs exist? Because I assure you, people don't buy Macs because of the hardware capabilities (not since the early 2000s anyway).

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X