Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD Images Reworked With ZFS On Linux Code Up For Testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FreeBSD Images Reworked With ZFS On Linux Code Up For Testing

    Phoronix: FreeBSD Images Reworked With ZFS On Linux Code Up For Testing

    Last year FreeBSD developers decided to re-base their ZFS file-system code based on the "ZFS On Linux" port rather than the Illumos source tree where they originally had been acquiring the support for this BSD. There's now FreeBSD 12 and FreeBSD 13/Head images available for testing of this re-worked ZFS file-system support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...BSD-ZoL-iX-CFT

  • #2
    Good progress but I have a hunch the transition might be a bit rough

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, It's cool.

      Couple questions maybe ppl know. Is "ZoF" based on ZoL 8.0 with all the fancy new features?
      Does it contain the same ZFS Feature set as the existing FreeBSD-12's version allowing you to at least use older pools without a problem? (let alone upgrade)
      How does it preform vs 12?
      Last edited by k1e0x; 04-19-2019, 12:36 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Wow. I've been putting off using ZoL even though Canonical has blessed it. With the recent feature adds it's getting pretty tempting. If FreeBSD is porting ZoL to FreeBSD in preference to Ilumos, that says a lot about the state of support, so stability concerns should be a thing of the past.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
          Wow. I've been putting off using ZoL even though Canonical has blessed it. With the recent feature adds it's getting pretty tempting. If FreeBSD is porting ZoL to FreeBSD in preference to Ilumos, that says a lot about the state of support, so stability concerns should be a thing of the past.
          ZFS is stable and it's on disk format isn't likely to ever change. It's supported state isn't really in question on FreeBSD as it's basically the defacto default file system there. Most of the improvements in ZFS in general are in performance and features. (Like encryption, ZFS reflow extending a raid5 just by adding disks and usability improvements)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
            Couple questions maybe ppl know. Is "ZoF" based on ZoL 8.0 with all the fancy new features?
            Afaik yes. It may not support them now that they are still porting it, but the end goal is have fully functional ZoL for FreeBSD port.

            Does it contain the same ZFS Feature set as the existing FreeBSD-12's version allowing you to at least use older pools without a problem? (let alone upgrade)
            Current ZoL supports all features of FreeBSD 12, and more or less every ZFS feature available. http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Feature_Flags
            (more up-to-date feature set here, situation is still mostly the same, only unsupported feature is literally a few months old and not supported in *BSDs either. https://zgrep.org/zfs.html )

            Comment


            • #7
              This is making me realize I might as well be using linux

              Comment


              • #8
                So then they can finally have a truly unified OpenZFS code base. Now the source tree just needs to be called that.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Current ZoL supports all features of FreeBSD 12, and more or less every ZFS feature available. http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Feature_Flags
                  (more up-to-date feature set here, situation is still mostly the same, only unsupported feature is literally a few months old and not supported in *BSDs either. https://zgrep.org/zfs.html )
                  Either this wiki page is not listing everything or it's really only comparing ZoL/Linux feature set vs others. Example: NFSv4 acl's are not listed, it's not afaik supported by ZoL/Linux but it's supported by OpenZFS/FreeBSD. What it's good for? Try using Samba+ZoL and find out. Samba zfs acl module is based on Illumos/Solaris API and has never been supported by Linux. Maybe it could be made work as it was made work on FreeBSD (Solaris acl API emulation through FreeBSD own native API- it works fairly well)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                    Either this wiki page is not listing everything or it's really only comparing ZoL/Linux feature set vs others.
                    As clearly described in the table, it's looking for feature flags. That's what will prevent you from migrating the zpools from one system to the other.

                    Example: NFSv4 acl's are not listed, it's not afaik supported by ZoL/Linux but it's supported by OpenZFS/FreeBSD.
                    That's not a feature flag of the filesystem apparently. From the bug reports, it does not seem to prevent zpool migration https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/7728

                    It's also being worked on https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/7728

                    Try using Samba+ZoL and find out.
                    Samba can provide Unix/POSIX ACLs on ZFS and remap them to Windows ACL so Windows does not freak out.

                    I personally always thought Windows/NVSv4 ACL are too complex for their own good, but I'm not going to spit on it.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X