Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
    snip
    You read way too much into a tongue-in-cheek comment poking fun at AMD touting AMDGPU as their all-in-one code base universal driver that doesn't have an official AMD release whereas the closed source Nvidia driver does. The "" should have made that clear.

I'm well aware that the BSD stack is a release or three behind Linux and that there could be an NDA, AMD might not have the manpower to focus on Linux, Windows, OSX, Xbox One, PS4, PS5, possibly other operating systems, and whatever the next Xbox is called as well as BSD, or some reason we're not even aware of. For all I know, AMD could only provide the hardware and Sony writes the driver.

What I'm not sure on is where the BSD Linux subsystem is at, how well or if it'll run Steam, or how Wine handles games on BSD and if DXVK and whatnot are available there of if they're Linux only. I know I'd appreciate it if any BSD gamers lurking around could chime in on that.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

The official AMDGPU kernel driver is here. https://www.freshports.org/graphics/drm-current-kmod/ (As official as linux's is anyhow)
      pkg install drm-current-kmod
      Then it will give instructions on what to do to load it at boot time.
      Driver wise it should support everything Linux 4.16 does.

(There is a bug where the AMDGPU module fails with EFI boot, keep that in mind)
      Thankfully I don't have UEFI

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

You read way too much into a tongue-in-cheek comment poking fun at AMD touting AMDGPU as their all-in-one code base universal driver that doesn't have an official AMD release whereas the closed source Nvidia driver does. The "" should have made that clear.

I'm well aware that the BSD stack is a release or three behind Linux and that there could be an NDA, AMD might not have the manpower to focus on Linux, Windows, OSX, Xbox One, PS4, PS5, possibly other operating systems, and whatever the next Xbox is called as well as BSD, or some reason we're not even aware of. For all I know, AMD could only provide the hardware and Sony writes the driver.

What I'm not sure on is where the BSD Linux subsystem is at, how well or if it'll run Steam, or how Wine handles games on BSD and if DXVK and whatnot are available there of if they're Linux only. I know I'd appreciate it if any BSD gamers lurking around could chime in on that.
        It will run wine but not steam. (least not yet..) If you're intending on gaming on FreeBSD you're going to be disappointed, it's more for servers / workstations. Personally I use FreeBSD as my work system and Windows like an Xbox for games but if you want a "all in one" maybe Gentoo can by made to be pretty close to FreeBSD, it takes work tho.

Comment

Sorry, I don't see even Linux as an "gaming OS". Compared to Windows, it's supporting bare handful of online games.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

It will run wine but not steam. (least not yet..) If you're intending on gaming on FreeBSD you're going to be disappointed, it's more for servers / workstations. Personally I use FreeBSD as my work system and Windows like an Xbox for games but if you want a "all in one" maybe Gentoo can by made to be pretty close to FreeBSD, it takes work tho.
            Unfortunately, that's pretty much the answer I expected...though Gentoo is on my list of to-do's so there's that...

The little I used GhostBSD showed me that it would make a damn fine workstation and that it had all the programs to suit my needs...well...it will once their ZFS stack catches up to the current ZoL master because I'm tarded like that....and games obviously.

Sorry, I don't see even Linux as an "gaming OS". Compared to Windows, it's supporting bare handful of online games.
            I thought like that years ago but Wine started making it possible to dig into my old backlog with Gallium Nine, Steam started supporting Linux and we started getting good games, Lutris came along and we got an all-in-one solution to manage games, and now we have projects like DXVK that are making it possible to play damn near all of our Windows games on Linux.

With the BSD graphics stack being slightly behind Linux by a year-ish, I know I can't be the only one curious on the state of BSD gaming and if BSD Wine is as gaming capable as Linux Wine.

Comment

I thought like that years ago but Wine started making it possible to dig into my old backlog with Gallium Nine, Steam started supporting Linux and we started getting good games, Lutris came along and we got an all-in-one solution to manage games, and now we have projects like DXVK that are making it possible to play damn near all of our Windows games on Linux.

With the BSD graphics stack being slightly behind Linux by a year-ish, I know I can't be the only one curious on the state of BSD gaming and if BSD Wine is as gaming capable as Linux Wine.
              I meant "online games". Online usually means "competitive", which means it typically requires some sort of anti-cheat engine. As far as I am aware, there's not a single such for Linux available, except for a Valve's own. You can play your single player titles to your heart content but it's just that. Finish it and forget it. Without anti-cheat engine competitive online game dies out in 6 months because it would get swamped by cheaters - making average's player's enjoyment of the game sub-par. So they'd quit en masse.

DXVK is not the only thing you need to run Windows games. Again, anti-cheat. It dislikes something in your system, like unofficial graphics drivers, it will boot you out of the server. You cannot run that animal over Wine, it's pretty invasive and figures out instantly that actually something is fishy with your "Windows".

For example, Arma3 has Linux port. It's not usable for online gaming. You enjoy single player and mission editor only limited amount of hours, majority will buy this 60 euro game for playing online against other players. It's the only kind of fun out of a game that offers enough variety and entertainment for multiple thousands of hours/several years without you wanting to try anything else.
              Last edited by aht0; 16 April 2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I meant "online games". Online usually means "competitive", which means it typically requires some sort of anti-cheat engine. As far as I am aware, there's not a single such for Linux available, except for a Valve's own. You can play your single player titles to your heart content but it's just that. Finish it and forget it. Without anti-cheat engine competitive online game dies out in 6 months because it would get swamped by cheaters - making average's player's enjoyment of the game sub-par. So they'd quit en masse.

DXVK is not the only thing you need to run Windows games. Again, anti-cheat. It dislikes something in your system, like unofficial graphics drivers, it will boot you out of the server. You cannot run that animal over Wine, it's pretty invasive and figures out instantly that actually something is fishy with your "Windows".

For example, Arma3 has Linux port. It's not usable for online gaming. You enjoy single player and mission editor only limited amount of hours, majority will buy this 60 euro game for playing online against other players.
                I definitely agree with that.

Somewhere around Modern Warfare 2 or 3/Battlefield 4 I became burnt-out on most FPS games and I don't really care for MOBAs or MMOs so that competitive online part really doesn't effect me and hasn't for a while now. From my mainly single player perspective, Linux is perfect for the games I like to play...and I'm hoping that Proton will make it so Wine passes the cheater tests.

I played the MW Remaster and the WW2 ones on the PS4 with my Dad recently...damn all those loot crates and whatnot...and here I was thinking that buying gun skins and hats was utterly retarded...gambling for skins and emblems...stupid fucktards.

That said, I do know that the Battlefield games pass Origin's anti-cheat system as long as dxvk-async isn't used.

Comment

That said, I do know that the Battlefield games pass Origin's anti-cheat system as long as dxvk-async isn't used.
                  Origin has it's own anti-cheat nowadays? BF4/Hardline had still Punkbuster for an anti-cheat engine. Ok, each also had Fairfight but this is server-side software. Have to admit, haven't played this franchise for 2 years and last game I bought from DICE was BF Hardline.
                  Last edited by aht0; 16 April 2019, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately, that's pretty much the answer I expected...though Gentoo is on my list of to-do's so there's that...

The little I used GhostBSD showed me that it would make a damn fine workstation and that it had all the programs to suit my needs...well...it will once their ZFS stack catches up to the current ZoL master because I'm tarded like that....and games obviously.

I haven't really tried much but Wine should be just as good as Linux or Mac OS. There is a playonbsd port. As for ZFS/ZoL FreeBSD and ZoL were implementing different things then merging upstream to Illumos. So ZoL had ZFS native encryption as one big feature, that was probably why the rebase but I wouldn't say BSD's ZFS is out of date.. that one area of FreeBSD that does see a lot of development. (FreeNAS etc)

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      Who even maintains LightDM these days? Canonical switched to GDM.
                      GDM/Gnome3 depends on systemd. Why take extra work patching it? One nice day you might discover patching it further is too overcomplicated to bother. Welcome to vendor locked garden of software.

FreeBSD had Gnome3 port but its over a year old version. If GhostBSD used it, you'd sneer over old version.

Impossible to please and toxic. Like most ex-wives.
                      Last edited by aht0; 24 April 2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X