GhostBSD 19.04 Release Switches To LightDM, Based On FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostBSD 19.04 Release Switches To LightDM, Based On FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT

Phoronix: GhostBSD 19.04 Release Switches To LightDM, Based On FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT

With TrueOS (formerly PC-BSD) shifting away from its desktop FreeBSD focus, the GhostBSD project remains one of the nice "desktop BSD" operating system offerings. GhostBSD 19.04 is now available in MATE and Xfce desktop spins...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who even maintains LightDM these days? Canonical switched to GDM.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      and has a nuymber of bug fixes

Comment

cute! finally a way to easily install an OS with ZFS on root.. if they only could switch the kernel to Linux it would be a good competioto to Ubuntu. Is GhostBSD using ZoL?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          cute! finally a way to easily install an OS with ZFS on root.. if they only could switch the kernel to Linux it would be a good competioto to Ubuntu. Is GhostBSD using ZoL?
          LOL then it would be called ghostlinux.. zero chance of that.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
            The whole point of GhostBSD is to make kind of the ubuntu of BSDs... Easy to use, high quality software (some from non-freebsd repos), and a strong system base (freebsd)... If you get rid of the BSD part it would just become another ubuntu, except alot less significant.

Comment

Between the System Requirements listed on Wikipedia there's a NVIDIA graphic card: why why why? On the same page they list 'openess' as a core value...

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Lightdm is maintained by the Xfce team: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/lightdm
                On Debian you doofus.

If you'd follow you own link and clicked on where is says "homepage" under "links", that would have taken you to here which tells you it's now maintained here where you'd have found that Canonical maintains LightDM.

Anyhoo, to get on topic, the last time there was a GhostBSD article here I ran it's live for a week straight without a reboot and loved it. It gave me a great impression of the Mate desktop. After really thining about it I realized that my games were the only reasons I could find that actually tied me to Linux now and that I'd seriously consider a switch to GhostBSD if it weren't for all the advancements in Linux gaming over the past few years. For me, it's just hard to consider any other open source OS for a desktop these days thanks to AMD, Intel, Nvidia, Steam, DXVK, Wine, Vulkan, and lots and lots of other projects and companies. I wish GhostBSD the best of luck and there's a good chance I'll switch if BSD ever gets the gaming abilities of Linux.

I find it really damn funny that proprietary software ties me to an open source operating system. Ain't that some ironic shit?

Comment

Well designed and written software like the Xfce desktop and Lightdm do not require much maintenance, because they are ready.
                  LOL

Lightdm is maintained by the Xfce team: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/lightdm
                  That's Debian's LightDM package not upstream.

Comment

If you want out-of-the-box FreeBSD desktop then this is the distro to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X