DragonFly's HAMMER2 File-System Picks Up More Performance Optimizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DragonFly's HAMMER2 File-System Picks Up More Performance Optimizations

Phoronix: DragonFly's HAMMER2 File-System Picks Up More Performance Optimizations

DragonFlyBSD lead developer Matthew Dillon who also created the HAMMER family of file-systems remains quite busy on filling out the remaining features for HAMMER2 and tuning its performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I know this is shallow, but I really think "hammer" is a bad name for a filesystem. Is taking a hammer to your hard drive really the sort of image you want your filesystem to evoke?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      I know this is shallow, but I really think "hammer" is a bad name for a filesystem. Is taking a hammer to your hard drive really the sort of image you want your filesystem to evoke?
      Most users don't care, i'd suggest.
      I do think the name is odd, though.
      I guess at least its not some acronym from a gaggle of words: ntfs, hfs, ufs, zfs,xfs,rms,hpfs,udfs blah blah blah.
      I've never used this file system, so i'd be keen to see how it compares to zfs or more likely ufs.

Comment

... because smearing butter on your hard drive (btrfs) is so much better?

Comment

To me, it just screams "tough" and "heavy duty", things that make it sound reliable. It sounds like data is hammered into something, so it will stay there. This is way better than uninspired acronyms like NTFS or F2FS. Where are recursive acronyms, these are pretty much the only good acronyms (ok, besides FUCKWIT)?

Also, thinking of hard drives is pretty backwards, considering how good solid storage has become. At this point, prices are pretty much on par, and the only thing where spinning rust excels is long-term storage, where tape might make more sense anyway.

Comment

Maybe it would be nice if HAMMER2 was available for Linux.
            But maybe it would be difficult to port it from DragonFly BSD to Linux.

Comment

HAMMER is a good name. It sounds like it is simple and functional in the best ways.

I'm pretty sure that porting to Linux would cause some performance differences just because of how the filesystem is integrated into the operating system as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Maybe it would be nice if HAMMER2 was available for Linux.
                But maybe it would be difficult to port it from DragonFly BSD to Linux.
                Well at the moment it's apparently too difficult to port it to even other BSD:s https://wiki.freebsd.org/PortingHAMMERFS

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Well at the moment it's apparently too difficult to port it to even other BSD:s https://wiki.freebsd.org/PortingHAMMERFS
                  Nothing's impossible in that regard, it is do-able, it's just that you're unlikely to get it past core. They're an immovable object sometimes, however, their reasoning on this is sound.

Previously, I think it was tried with openbsd and I recall looking at the code changes and thinking, yowee, that's a lot of work for integrating a file system when freebsd has zfs which is both a file system and volume manager.

I can understand netbsd or openbsd attempting to use it, not freebsd.

A quick check finds this benchmark: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...x-Initial-Data

Hmm...

Comment

Btw, Hammer and Hammer 2 are different animals.

Comment

Working...
                    X