Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running FreeBSD 12.0 With Intel Xeon Scalable Cascade Lake / Gigabyte S451-3R0 Server, Benchmarks Against Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I have a question. Why do you use BLAKE2 for comparing different OS'es but why do you never use it for comparing different CPU's? Because the results are in *Cycles* per byte, I'd say it makes more sense to compare between different CPU's than different OS'es.
    Mostly from having so many tests and occasionally forgetting about them... In this case remembering about blake2 and that I hadn't tried it out on cascadelake yet, so tossed it in.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    I have a question. Why do you use BLAKE2 for comparing different OS'es but why do you never use it for comparing different CPU's? Because the results are in *Cycles* per byte, I'd say it makes more sense to compare between different CPU's than different OS'es.

Leave a comment:

• edwaleni
    replied
    Netflix will like those transcoding numbers. They are a big FreeBSD shop for their CDS.

Leave a comment:

• Running FreeBSD 12.0 With Intel Xeon Scalable Cascade Lake / Gigabyte S451-3R0 Server, Benchmarks Against Linux

Phoronix: Running FreeBSD 12.0 With Intel Xeon Scalable Cascade Lake / Gigabyte S451-3R0 Server, Benchmarks Against Linux

Over the past week we've been delivering several benchmarks of the new Intel Xeon Scalable "Cascade Lake" processors under Linux with the Platinum 8280 processors. The Linux support and performance is hitting expectations, but what about on the BSDs? I spent some time this week trying out the dual Intel Xeon Platinum 8280 processors within the Gigabyte S451-3R0 Storage Server. The FreeBSD 12.0 support has been in great shape and in this article are some comparison benchmarks between various Linux distributions and FreeBSD for those curious.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X