No announcement yet.

GNU Hurd Can Build Around 75% Of The Debian Packages, But No 64-bit Or SMP Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Hurd Can Build Around 75% Of The Debian Packages, But No 64-bit Or SMP Yet

Phoronix: GNU Hurd Can Build Around 75% Of The Debian Packages, But No 64-bit Or SMP Yet

One of the sessions we look forward to each year at FOSDEM is in regards to the GNU Hurd status update... It's one of the few times per year where we hear anything new presented on the Hurd. GNU Hurd is nearly three decades old and has yet to see its v1.0 milestone reached, but Samuel Thibault and a small group of other free software developers continue working on this GNU micro-kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If only they would just adopt a decent microkernel like GPLed seL4 and work from there instead of spending so many manhours in a 3 decade old tech............

Comment

I just also talked microkernel ideas during my yesterdays equipment and OBS fine-tuning test livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4NzlgxBAI ;-)
      Last edited by rene; 03 February 2019, 11:03 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Mavman View Post
        If only they would just adopt a decent microkernel like GPLed seL4 and work from there instead of spending so many manhours in a 3 decade old tech............
        They are not spending a lot of manhours on it. There is only one or 2 people working on it, and they are not very active either. For all practical purposes Hurd has been abandoned for a long time. It looks more like a hobby project than a real project.

Comment

Wow! That sounds like a huge progress! Last time I've heard about HURD, it was celebrating being able to boot or something like that. Now I'm seriously starting to want HURD on my Ubuntu. You know, Linux feels kind of outdated now. Even though it's about as ancient as HURD, AFAIK.

Comment

Sorry, it's a MUST to link to this: xkcd | Operanting Systems

Comment

Originally posted by RGB-es View Post
              "Operanting Systems" seems like a very appropriate typo...

Comment

Originally posted by RGB-es View Post
                According to that iOS and MacOS should be in the brink of being merged right about now.

Comment

What init systemd are they using ?

Comment

Reading the slides: "Quite stable ● Have not reinstalled boxes for a decade"

Wait? This is used in production? What boxes is he talking about?

Comment

Working...
                    X