Netflix Continues Experiencing Great Performance In Using FreeBSD For Their CDN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Apple makes the most popular desktop OS next to Windows and the most popular mobile OS next to Android.
    1/10 market share of either and you make it sound like it's so tight together. Laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
      I don't understand. Why BSD is faster than Linux in CDN scenario?
      They use it because it's faster. They developed it because it was easier. And they have documented exactly what they did and committed changes to FreeBSD. (permissive licenses work) So stop complaining.. and catch up Linux. https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/...e-cdb51dda3b99

Netflix serves 1/3rd of the entire traffic of the internet with these and they *are* quite impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        1/10 market share of either and you make it sound like it's so tight together. Laughable.
        OK, so what is between MacOS and Windows or iOS and Android?

(nothing)

Exactly. The point about them being popular devices still stands.

Also, next in the desktop OS line is us Linux people and we're 1/10 of MacOS....just putting it out there....

Mobile is not that fair of a comparison because Android devices are given out freely or damn near so. I've spent more on 1 screen to fix 1 phone than I've actually spent on all 7 of my Android phones combined. So far I've spent a grand total of 1 cent on Android phones...and they f*cked that order up and sent me two phones even though I ordered one. I got two LG G3s the week they launched for one cent. The repairs for two of my phones was the cost of my tablet and that tablet is the only Android device I've spent more than one penny on ($70).

Windows, the OS in general, gets all those numbers because it's sold on a lot of mass produced crap devices. No other OS, besides Android, is sold like that. Even Linux comes shipped on better than Walmart hardware.

I guarantee you that if Apple started selling $400 MacOS crap PCs and $300 crappy notebooks like Dell/Lenovo/HP/etc do with Windows stuff or if they came out with $200 crappy iPhones, they'd be a lot closer in numbers with Windows and Android. People kind of expect Windows and Android to suck/be just good enough that they can get away with using cheap ass hardware and buggy ass software.

If Apple started allowing Hackintosh builds and sold their OS for general PC users, MacOS would pick up more users. How many of us would be running a MacOS setup if Apple would sell it to us with an "unofficial hardware does not get official support so YMMV" disclaimer? I would.

I'm just pointing out that comparing mass-produced crap available on most platforms to higher-end products locked down to specific platforms isn't that fair of a comparison.

It's also related to money. More people can afford a $400 good enough Windows or Android device over a $1100+ Apple device. If you scale it up to vehicle prices, it's like comparing a $20,000 car to a $55,000 car or a Honda to a Tesla. Of course more people have a Honda, it's more affordable. We'd like the Tesla, but our wallet says "Nope, you're lucky to get the Honda. (Psst. You could get that beater and a 2080ti, just sayin)".

I sound like a damn Apple shill and I really dislike Apple, but if one quits drinking the Hater-Ade and just looks at all the data objectively and logically, Apple makes popular products.

Comment

OK, so what is between MacOS and Windows or iOS and Android?
          Please re-read the simple text that you quoted. I really can't explain it any better.

To use a silly analogy: You can't just fucking say that a pulled cart is "second best" to a race car, just because there was nothing else in-between in some scenario. Because that's how far off Apple is to the race car, in terms of market share.

Also, next in the desktop OS line is us Linux people and we're 1/10 of MacOS....just putting it out there....
          Yeah, and Linux suffers from many problems that I've pointed out again and again but zealots think "current is fine". However, GNU/Linux at least is super popular on servers (ignoring Android now cause just kernel), Apple has nothing popular anywhere.

Linux would do well to copy the good parts from Windows and ignoring the (many) bad parts. But no, they keep copying from a piece of shit failure like Apple, who's only successful due to price gouging and retarded religious fanatics of its products. Since Linux is free, you can only look at market share as an indicator of success, not some shit that overprices everything.
          Last edited by Weasel; 05 February 2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            Linux would do well to copy the good parts from Windows and ignoring the (many) bad parts. But no, they keep copying from a piece of shit failure like Apple, who's only successful due to price gouging and retarded religious fanatics of its products. Since Linux is free, you can only look at market share as an indicator of success, not some shit that overprices everything.
            I think Apple do bring at least two things of value to the market.

1. They are obsessive about aesthetics and the user experience. If you're not good with computers and you're prepared to pay the money and commit to the full Apple experience, then I think you're going to have a good time with Apple. I've seen a lot of people who love the simplicity and relatively problem-free experience of Apple products. It's definitely not for everyone, but I can certainly see the appeal for some. Even something like the wall-garden App Store can be of benefit to those types of users. Scam-apps do get through to their App Store, but in general I think noobie users are more insulated from scam-apps than Android users.

2. They have a bit of a niche with designers. They put in special attention to make sure high quality, intuitive to use, digital-design software & associated hardware runs very well on their systems. The fact that Apple care about aesthetics and ergonomics, likely also draws designers to their platform.

For the record: I don't own any Apple hardware myself and don't plan on owning any. I'll pick Windows for gaming and GNU/Linux + some decent, compatible hardware for everything else. I'm actually planning on dropping Windows altogether soon. My next game machine will be GNU/Linux only. I figure if it doesn't work out I can always switch back to Windows.

Comment

1/10? There is a saying "Having only 1 customer is fine, so long as that customer is WalMart." -- Of course FreeBSD has a lot more than 1 customer but being NetFlix's CDN is no "corner store" either.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                1. They are obsessive about aesthetics and the user experience. If you're not good with computers and you're prepared to pay the money and commit to the full Apple experience, then I think you're going to have a good time with Apple. I've seen a lot of people who love the simplicity and relatively problem-free experience of Apple products. It's definitely not for everyone, but I can certainly see the appeal for some. Even something like the wall-garden App Store can be of benefit to those types of users. Scam-apps do get through to their App Store, but in general I think noobie users are more insulated from scam-apps than Android users.
                Dunno. This is mostly about preferences, but I find Apple's UI ass-backwards, literally, both in iOS and macOS. Might explain the low market share (not fully obviously) as it probably is a niche UI for certain backwards people. I mean, close button on top-left... that's the kind of backwards.

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                2. They have a bit of a niche with designers. They put in special attention to make sure high quality, intuitive to use, digital-design software & associated hardware runs very well on their systems. The fact that Apple care about aesthetics and ergonomics, likely also draws designers to their platform.

For the record: I don't own any Apple hardware myself and don't plan on owning any. I'll pick Windows for gaming and GNU/Linux + some decent, compatible hardware for everything else. I'm actually planning on dropping Windows altogether soon. My next game machine will be GNU/Linux only. I figure if it doesn't work out I can always switch back to Windows.
                Heh, I'm no Windows fanboy either, never used anything above 7 (outside a VM), and 10 is a monstrosity, even in UI. But Apple is just far worse, I can barely find anything good about it, while Windows has many good points (e.g. stable platform, backwards compatibility, etc).

Android is a piece of crap too, in my opinion... and yet iOS just manages to be even worse. Typical Apple.

(disclaimer: of course, this is just my opinion, since this subject is mostly about opinion anyway, at least when it comes to aesthetics of "ease of use")

Comment

I'm by no means an authority, but I thought I'd mention Facebook's optimizations to the Linux TCP/IP stack. I can't find the article to cite now, but iirc FB had claimed it's improvements to Linux networking stack had made it faster than BSD's.

I use Linux for hosts and on all workstations/workbooks. Never owned a Mac, had iPhones, but ditched it for Android.( Sony Xperia Z3 swayed me, but I use Google Pixel XL for obvious reasons). Android's devices allow freedom vs. iOS that's just too practical to deny.
                  Like... Access to the filesystem, and the ability to use almost all USB devices plug n play.

Apple has been beloved by designers and artisans in the past, but like developers, they've turned their back on them. While WIndows realized they lost both and now is working to bring them to their good yet awful "platform". Apple needs to add touchscreen support, Chrome OS and Windows are putting it to good use with designers, iPad doesn't really count.

I used to think Mac's n iThings were well made, but I've seen technicians prove that to be a serious misconception. However MacOS and iOS do have a lot of great points as mentioned in the replies above, and they provide good development tools(Cocoa API, Swift, Core Libraries) that makes dev's lives easier. One thing that really gets me as someone who does audio work on Linux exclusively(which is in some ways superior to Windows IMO), is MacOS' Core Audio system, which is also included in iOS. iOs has tons of good recording and production software that isn't possible on Android due to latency over 10s. I hate Apple's way of doing things, yet envy them at the same time. So many times I've tried MBP's at Best Buy with bash open, envying the crisp font rendering.... But Linux is better in more important ways, and we're getting better every day.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

What do you count as a systemd crash? I have a hard time believing that you mean an actual segfault in /lib/systemd/systemd
                    Yes. But they've had this policy of keeping the machines running several years between boot times. systemd absolutely is the top cause of core dumps for us yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post

Yes. But they've had this policy of keeping the machines running several years between boot times. systemd absolutely is the top cause of core dumps for us yet.
                      So you have actual segfaults in /lib/systemd/systemd?

Comment

Working...
                      X