No announcement yet.

Netflix Continues Experiencing Great Performance In Using FreeBSD For Their CDN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix Continues Experiencing Great Performance In Using FreeBSD For Their CDN

Phoronix: Netflix Continues Experiencing Great Performance In Using FreeBSD For Their CDN

It's been a love affair going on for years, but should you not already know, Netflix has long been leveraging FreeBSD as part of its in-house content delivery network (CDN) for serving its millions of users with on-demand video. This weekend at FOSDEM, Jonathan Looney of the company talked about their usage of FreeBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't understand. Why BSD is faster than Linux in CDN scenario?

Comment

No systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
        No systemd.
        Careful... (that's not why)

Comment

If my company ran only one OS that we had compiled, built and tested AND used hardware that was consistent and fully vetted across the entire footprint, it would probably have great results as well.

I don't think the benefits they tout are simply based on the exclusive use of FreeBSD. It's the elimination of hundreds of variables that can foul any good deployment.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
            No systemd.
            How many benchmarks has Michael, or anyone else, produced showing that Linux distributions slowed down after introducing systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by enihcam View Post
              OTOH Linux dominates to the point that it's newsworthy when a corporation uses a unix OS that isn't Linux.

Comment

Network Stack.

Comment

Is it? I haven't seen any benches so please point out if I'm wrong but I'm guessing the performance would be similar to Linux but Netflix prefers BSD for the license.

Comment

It's the licenses in play if I had to wager a guess. BSD is more permissively licensed so people and companies can do what they want and not release their source changes.

I did find it interesting that they don't stick to stable.

Comment

Working...
                    X