Microsoft Windows Server Benchmarked Against Six Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wojcian View Post
    Why you didn't include FreeBSD or DragonflyBSD in benchmarks? There are six Linux distributions and no BSD at all. Don't discriminate BSD, please.
    No that, there are no RH distros compared either. Would have liked to have seen RHEL and Centos added to the mix.

Comment

with that kind of performance, they should give Windows 10 server for free.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        and you have to pay for it?
        Payment is the least of my worries.
        I happily paid 350 guilders (now worth 350 euro) for a license on minix 1.5 .
        Not that it was worth it, because compared to linux 1.3, it was utter crap and under a non-free license. But I did get all the source on 30 floppies I think and printed out.
        But nonetheless, it was worth the money in that time.

I was even looking up how much a windows 10 license was, because I needed one.
        But only to use it for RE purposes. And it happened that my WIN2 already had a win10 license, so I did not need it.
        almost 17 days now on the win2 and it will probably boot linux again in a week or two as the driver is working.

But yeah, I don't worry about pay. I need source to fix utter crap. And even in the non-free state of minix, it was possible to share code with those that also had a license.
        Last edited by Ardje; 24 January 2019, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Hello! I'm sure we all value your dedication here (proven over a long time), but I think it is an error to evaluate openSUSE Tumbleweed in a server context. Tumbleweed is a rolling / 'bleeding-edge' distro. Much better to have tested openSUSE Leap 15.0 or SUSE Linux Enterprise, each of which is definitely more oriented toward a server implementation without 'tuning' as such. Anyway, as always, thanks for all your hard work! Have A Healthy, Prosperous Day! - - rob

Comment

Why you didn't include FreeBSD or DragonflyBSD in benchmarks? There are six Linux distributions and no BSD at all. Don't discriminate BSD, please.
            Please understand the difference between "Discriminating" and "Prioritizing" otherwise you just sound like the whiny social justice warriors JSWs.

Now rephrase your statement so it doesn't come off as aggressive and with the intent to socially shame michael, it should look something like this:

$ Hey Michael, I noticed there are no BSD's in the benchmark. I think readers are also interested in seeing how BSD compares against Linux and Windows, a lot of us would appreciate to see those kinds of numbers, thank you for such awesome work!

Obviously with variation based on your personality and in the words you choose to express yourself with.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

Obviously with variation based on your personality and in the words you choose to express yourself with.
              Ok, let me rephrase this: could you gtfo with such gayish attitude, please? I couldn't express myself better. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by louis_irl View Post
                Why does Linux so often perform so much better than Windows?
                For the same reason OpenSUSE Tumbleweed also tends to perform worse. Filesystem is slower. NTFS is garbage, there is no way around it.
                BTRFS is slow too, but at least it has a lot of useful things to compensate that.

Comment

Originally posted by deant View Post
                  with that kind of performance, they should give Windows 10 server for free.
                  People installing Windows Server don't usually have much choice as their payload application only runs in Windows, OR they can only operate a Windows system to begin with.

Comment

Ok, let me rephrase this: could you gtfo with such gayish attitude, please? I couldn't express myself better. Thanks.
                    Are you seriously assuming his attitude?

On a more serious note, he benchmarked Linux vs BSDs less than a month ago, it would just be a matter of joining the graphs.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Are you seriously assuming his attitude?

On a more serious note, he benchmarked Linux vs BSDs less than a month ago, it would just be a matter of joining the graphs.
                      He commented like typical SJW and I hate this stupidity. If he's looking for some mentee I recommend him to look somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                      X