Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out-Of-The-Box 10GbE Network Benchmarks On Nine Linux Distributions Plus FreeBSD 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out-Of-The-Box 10GbE Network Benchmarks On Nine Linux Distributions Plus FreeBSD 12

Phoronix: Out-Of-The-Box 10GbE Network Benchmarks On Nine Linux Distributions Plus FreeBSD 12

Last week I started running some fresh 10GbE Linux networking performance benchmarks across a few different Linux distributions. That testing has now been extended to cover nine Linux distributions plus FreeBSD 12.0 to compare the out-of-the-box networking performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't the third test in MByte/s and not in Mbit/s?

Comment

And now with 2 macchiatobin... to see the performance on slower hardware...
      Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        providing two 10Gb SPF+ ports using a
        (SFP+)

Comment

So.. FreeBSD wins everything except Clear Linux sometimes. Clear FreeBSD distro fork anyone? How about ClearBSD?

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
            So.. FreeBSD wins everything except Clear Linux sometimes. Clear FreeBSD distro fork anyone? How about ClearBSD?
            Looks more like Clear Linux winning everything (in part, on account of being able run it in the first place), except FreeBSD sometimes. Those latency numbers are spectacular though.

Comment

I find the results rather surprising. I just tested my 10G setup with iperf and I got 9.4Gbit/s. That's on Ubuntu 18.04.1 with latest updates on both sides without any performance tuning. I have two Aquantia AQC107 cards connected directly to each other without a switch (maybe that improves things a bit but damn if 10GB switches are not fucking expensive!). But on the other hand, 10G SFP+ has significantly lower latency than 10GBaseT.

Comment

As usual Debian performs better than the Super Star and Super Optimized Distro Ubuntu...

Comment

It will be interesting to see results before CPU mitigations. Is there any chance for such comparison? I'd also love to see DragonflyBSD. Thanks.

Comment

I suspect Ethr might have worked on FreeBSD under its Linux emulation support.

Comment

Working...
                    X