GhostBSD 18.12 Released As A Polished FreeBSD OS With MATE Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostBSD 18.12 Released As A Polished FreeBSD OS With MATE Desktop

Phoronix: GhostBSD 18.12 Released As A Polished FreeBSD OS With MATE Desktop

GhostBSD 18.12 was released on New Year's Eve as the latest version of this FreeBSD-derived operating system that focuses on delivering a good BSD desktop experience aside from manually installing FreeBSD or any other *BSD and having to manually setup a graphical environment and desktop of your choosing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure why people continue to use MATE instead of GNOME Flashback. Flashback is not perfect but a lot less buggy than GNOME2 stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
      Not sure why people continue to use MATE instead of GNOME Flashback. Flashback is not perfect but a lot less buggy than GNOME2 stuff.
      MATE has been fully ported to GTK3 for several versions. It's not 'gnome 2 stuff'.

Also, from what I can see, MATE is much more actively developed than Gnome Flashback, so I'd be surprised if MATE was more buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
        MATE has been fully ported to GTK3 for several versions. It's not 'gnome 2 stuff'.

Also, from what I can see, MATE is much more actively developed than Gnome Flashback, so I'd be surprised if MATE was more buggy.
        I didn't say GTK2, I said "GNOME2". Does the current MATE use GNOME3? I don't know because it was so buggy I stopped using it a long time ago.

Flashback isn't "developed" because it doesn't need to be. It uses the same stuff as GNOME3.

Comment

I didn't say GTK2, I said "GNOME2". Does the current MATE use GNOME3? I don't know because it was so buggy I stopped using it a long time ago.
          It doesn't use the gnome 3 apps, it's an independent desktop environment (originally forked from gnome 2). All components/apps have been ported to GTK3 though, so the 'stack' does have a lot in common with gnome 3. It's also improved a lot over the past few years and has pretty active development, so I doubt it's anywhere near as buggy as you remember if you haven't used it for years.

Flashback isn't "developed" because it doesn't need to be. It uses the same stuff as GNOME3.
          I will agree to disagree. Personally, if I was creating a linux or BSD distro, I wouldn't want to use a desktop that isn't actively maintained for the desktop environment... While it uses the gnome 3 apps which are maintained, it's still it's own separate shell that could have bugs of its own...
          Last edited by bwat47; 01 January 2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post

It doesn't use the gnome 3 apps, it's an independent desktop environment (originally forked from gnome 2). All components/apps have been ported to GTK3 though, so the 'stack' does have a lot in common with gnome 3. It's also improved a lot over the past few years and has pretty active development, so I doubt it's anywhere near as buggy as you remember if you haven't used it for years.

I will agree to disagree. Personally, if I was creating a linux or BSD distro, I wouldn't want to use a desktop that isn't actively maintained for the desktop environment... While it uses the gnome 3 apps which are maintained, it's still it's own separate shell that could have bugs of its own...
            You realize that RHEL / CentOS default to the Gnome Flashback session (though I think it's called Classic now?)? So yeah, it's still being maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

You realize that RHEL / CentOS default to the Gnome Flashback session (though I think it's called Classic now?)? So yeah, it's still being maintained.
              Gnome classic and Flashback are two different things. I believe RHEL uses gnome classic.

Gnome classic is just gnome shell with a set of extensions to replicate the gnome 2 style panel layout.

Gnome flashback is much more similar to mate, it actually uses the old gnome 2 panel (but I believe ported to GTK3 like MATE) and the old metacity window manager (so does not require 3d acceleration like gnome-shell/gnome classic).

I was wrong about gnome-flashback not being maintained though. I had been going off this page which made it look like the last release was in 2016: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeFlashback

but it looks like it does still get updates if you look at github: https://github.com/GNOME/gnome-flashback

Comment

Interesting. I am going to try it.

Comment

I wonder in what differs compared to Project Trident (TrueOS desktop development), other than "Mate VS Lumina".
                  Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X