HAMMER2 File-System Performance On DragonFlyBSD 5.4.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
    Even if very difficult, porting Hammer to other systems could be nice... As we'd finally have a shared filesystem between systems with a license completely compatible between all of these systems...
    First thing you'd see would be Linux fork being re-licensed to GPL and original upstream locked out. And in a few years incompatibilities between respective implementations. For each, their own.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      FreeBSD and OpenBSD are avoiding GPL. DragonFly and NetBSD are not. Both of the latter are for example using GCC for system compiler. They all have their own iterations of Berkeley's Fast FileSystem, so no real need for file systems from Linux - which are strongly tied to Linux kernel-specific mechanisms anyway.

Try it out. Most of the people have strong preconceptions and sneeringly consider DragonFly little more than toy. I doubt you will wind any comparisons.
      The one time I decided to give BSD a shot (I think it was both DragonFly and some version of BSD) I booted it up in a kvm virtual machine and it just hung on booting :/.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
        The one time I decided to give BSD a shot (I think it was both DragonFly and some version of BSD) I booted it up in a kvm virtual machine and it just hung on booting :/.
        Millions of Windows users who have tried Linux "for the first time" can tell similar stories.
        Point of your post being?

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
          Millions of Windows users who have tried Linux "for the first time" can tell similar stories.
          Point of your post being?
          Uhh, no. Linux has been easy to run in virtual machines since the late 2000s at least. BSD is nowhere near as approachable for the linux-type hacker. The types of communities are vastly different and BSD is, unfortunately, largely academic.

Linux also has relevant search results when you actually search for errors.

Comment

Uhh, no. Linux has been easy to run in virtual machines since the late 2000s at least. BSD is nowhere near as approachable for the linux-type hacker. The types of communities are vastly different and BSD is, unfortunately, largely academic.
            DragonFly, I usually install it on bare metal. Some of the other BSD's have specific images for VM's (FreeBSD) and if you don't bother thinking beforehand and just try installing generic, you'll likely indeed shall end up with a failure.

Linux also has relevant search results when you actually search for errors.
            You have a problem? It includes an error message of some sort? Feel free to search the cause from the source. It's actually open, you know. If the OS lacks actual official forum (as it happens to be with the DragonFly, OpenBSD and NetBSD) - you could still try to ask help from http://daemonforums.org/ AND each OS still has one or more dedicated IRC channels and relevant mailing lists with users and devs online. If you could not find help with your error, problem was perhaps between chair and the screen. You wanted it easy and fast and without getting it, gave up and complain here about it now.

And what I meant about that sentence of mine was: millions of Windows users have tried Linux and have some failure or other.. and have instantly reverted back to Windows based on that single negative experience. Be it graphics driver fucking up, or discovering Linux can't run their favorite Windows programs. Stupid, shortsighted? Yes.

It identically expands to comparison between BSD and Linux. BSD is not Linux, you should not expect it to behave like Linux nor put same expectations on it. You can accept that Linux can't do what Windows can, why can't you accept that BSD is not supposed to be like Linux? It's different family of OS'es, with their own user base. You don't like it - a) then don't use it b) don't whine about it.

You wouldn't like windows users telling you that linux is worthless shit that should burn in hell and it's devs should concentrate on creating better windows programs? It expands to BSD vs Linux. Live and let live.

Comment

Working...
            X