Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ReactOS 0.4.11 Release Candidate Available For Testing The "Open-Source Windows"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReactOS 0.4.11 Release Candidate Available For Testing The "Open-Source Windows"

Phoronix: ReactOS 0.4.11 Release Candidate Available For Testing The "Open-Source Windows"

Should you have some extra time this holiday season and wish to dive into some fun operating system tests, the release candidate of ReactOS 0.4.11 is available. Two decades after its start, ReactOS continues striving to be an open-source operating system that offers binary compatibility with applications/games/drivers from Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The driver support is actually a really big deal. Without that, ReactOS is largely pointless, because it's pretty much the 1 thing that Linux or *BSD can't take advantage of.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      The driver support is actually a really big deal. Without that, ReactOS is largely pointless, because it's pretty much the 1 thing that Linux or *BSD can't take advantage of.
      That. I've always had a "what's the point" mentality about ReactOS because we have Wine. But an open source OS that can run Windows graphics drivers...that's something that makes me take notice.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        That. I've always had a "what's the point" mentality about ReactOS because we have Wine. But an open source OS that can run Windows graphics drivers...that's something that makes me take notice.
        Not just graphics drivers, but just Windows drivers in general. Every once in a while I'll encounter a piece of hardware that has limited to no Linux functionality. Granted, this doesn't seem to happen too often anymore.

Comment

Then you realize that ReactOS only even attempts to support Windows XP graphics drivers, and even then they are almost guaranteed to crash at some point.

That means absolutely no cards newer than about an R9 390 or so, technically Fury if you run a specific chinese iCafe driver release and hack it to support it... I think the last card from Nvidia is the GTX Titan (kepler)

Unless you have tested the driver and know it works on ReactOS assume it doesn't... the only drivers I've ever gotten to work are a few specific audio and ethernet drivers. I imagine this may imrove a little with the new USB stack and these updates, but still... its not going to even be up to par with XP itself.

Comment

I think real Windows will be opensourced before this thing will be barely usable.

Comment

Virgil will have support for direct3d under reactos?

Comment

There is a lot of scientific/industrial stuff that only have drivers/programs for old versions of Windows. And the 15/20yo PCs those machines are attached to are dying, fast. Since those things cost a small fortune to buy, their owners are not let them go anywhere.

If ReactOS manage to support old drivers/programs on modern machines, they might found a (in my opinion) interesting niche market to fulfill, since it is a advantage to avoid licence shenanigans of old versions of Windows.

Comment

Still waiting for a version of ReactOS witch i can install in *REAL* hardware.
                  Till now, ALL have frozen during boot of the install CD and/or of the LiveCD

I just got a new MoBo, so i guess it's time to be a Guinea Pig again

Comment

I'm just wondering how long it takes until Microsoft sues everyone for re-implementing WinAPI using Google vs Oracle Java case as precedent.

Comment

Working...
                    X