Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vermaden View Post
    Not true.
    For FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE it is available from the bsdinstall installer, I described this method of installation here:
    FreeBSD Desktop – Part 2.1 – Install FreeBSD 12
    https://vermaden.wordpress.com/2018/...ll-freebsd-12/
    If you have any questions them let me know.
    Regards.
    ZFS encryption via GELI can be done from bsdinstaller (for some years?), I am aware of it.
    Bsdinstaller is useless if you wanted GELI-encrypted UFS root. At least it was not possible in 12.0 RC3. You'd have to do manually from shell literally everything.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
      ZFS encryption via GELI can be done from bsdinstaller (for some years?), I am aware of it.
      Bsdinstaller is useless if you wanted GELI-encrypted UFS root. At least it was not possible in 12.0 RC3. You'd have to do manually from shell literally everything.
      I haven't used UFS since ages so I did not even knew that, and I agree with You, the bsdinstall should also offer option to GELI encrypted root on UFS.

Comment

Congrats to the FreeBSD team on a new release!

MrMorden:

ZFS boot environments are working with both GRUB and the systemd bootloader under Arch (and presumably other distros) already thanks to zedenv, which is easily installed via the AUR.

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post
          Congrats to the FreeBSD team on a new release!

MrMorden:

ZFS boot environments are working with both GRUB and the systemd bootloader under Arch (and presumably other distros) already thanks to zedenv, which is easily installed via the AUR.
          Do you have any howto on that xedenv/GRUB/systemd ZFS Boot Environments with ZFS on root Linux setup?

Comment

Originally posted by rdeiriar View Post
            deepclutch Running ZFS on a single drive is, IMHO, worthy of consideration. You still get useful features such as snapshotting, file integrity verification, filesystem send/receive, transparent compression, extended attributes, and (my favorite) fast, reliable reboots with little fear of data corruption even if you (like me) manage to crash your system repetitively.
            I have run 2 x 2 TB ZFS mirror with 512 MB RAM for years on FreeBSD 9.x, worked like a charm, no reboots until I made them (for security updates).

ZFS will try to cache as much data in RAM as posible (L1ARC) but it can be limited with vfs.zfs.arc_min and vfs.zfs.arc_max settings in /boot/loader.conf file on FreeBSD.

The biggest features you get when you use ZFS on a single drive are:
            - data integrity (checksums)
            - LZ4/GZIP compression - I get 15% on my 480 GB SSD drive which means I got about 70 GB of 'free' SSD space (for the small CPU cost)
            - ZFS Boot Environments - check what they provide here - https://is.gd/BECTL
            - self healing if you set copies=2
            - snapshots for various reasons
            - fearless power off with power button pressed for 5 seconds (its bulletproof)

Comment

vermaden:

If you're happy with running ZFS with just a single or mirrored zpool config then you can use ALEZ to install Arch on ZFS . ALEZ configures the pool so as to be usable with zedenv OOTB.

Arch Linux Easy ZFS installer. Contribute to danboid/ALEZ development by creating an account on GitHub.

Post install, install zedenv and zedenv-grub (if you are using grub) from the AUR then follow the Post Setup instructions in the zedenv-grub README:

zedenv plugin for GRUB. Contribute to johnramsden/zedenv-grub development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

danboid

Thank You very much.

Comment

Working...
                X