No announcement yet.

FreeNAS 11.2 Released With Modern Web Interface, Improved Jails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the idea of FreeNAS but surely ssh'ing into the box and changing a couple of config files is almost just as easy as a web UI and much harder to accidentally do random stuff by clicking a button by accident.

Also, I kind of like text files so I can keep things a little bit more deterministic and I can follow an audit trail.

There must be a reason for FreeNAS or OMV, I just can't quite see it?

Comment

What about NAS4Free?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        I like the idea of FreeNAS but surely ssh'ing into the box and changing a couple of config files is almost just as easy as a web UI and much harder to accidentally do random stuff by clicking a button by accident.

Also, I kind of like text files so I can keep things a little bit more deterministic and I can follow an audit trail.

There must be a reason for FreeNAS or OMV, I just can't quite see it?
        The reasons are very good ZFS support, and it's really simple and you don't need to spend much time on it. You copy if to a USB stick, boot it, set network config, set smtp server, add disks to pool, set smb/nfs/whatever and you're done. You can ssh and administer it just as you would any other nix machine if you're bored (well, except you've got to be careful what you touch to avoid FreeNAS updates nuking your changes).

Comment

Looking at the hardware requirements (https://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/)..
          Why do they need 8GB Ram and a 64bit processor for, if there typically is a 120MB/s connection bottleneck?

I am planning for years to brain my wd my book live with free Nas software. Use case is NFS and dlna and ideally automatic sync with phones (backup of photos).

Does not seem like the "Nas" solutions cater for that.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
            Looking at the hardware requirements (https://www.freenas.org/hardware-requirements/)..
            Why do they need 8GB Ram and a 64bit processor for, if there typically is a 120MB/s connection bottleneck?

I am planning for years to brain my wd my book live with free Nas software. Use case is NFS and dlna and ideally automatic sync with phones (backup of photos).

Does not seem like the "Nas" solutions cater for that.
            ZFS doesn't work very well without a lot of RAM.

Comment

Working...
            X